Platie/other Fish Relations & Platie/platie Relations

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kikie86

Reaction score
Hey everyone; I just upgraded my 10 gal tank to an approx 29 gallon bowfront and I'm trying to figure out whether to add any more platies to it or not.
Currently I have 6 female bettas, 2 corys (will be upping this number to 5 or 6) & 1 platy.

Does anyone have experience keeping multiple platies with female bettas? or platies w/their own kind?
My current one is a female, but sometimes it seems like she's lonely as she'll follow the other fish around, trying to fit in.
If I got more I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 more and only females as I do not want to end up with tons of platies

oh and just for fun here's a pic of the tank
Fish2110.jpg

Hey everyone; I just upgraded my 10 gal tank to an approx 29 gallon bowfront and I'm trying to figure out whether to add any more platies to it or not.
Currently I have 6 female bettas, 2 corys (will be upping this number to 5 or 6) & 1 platy.

Does anyone have experience keeping multiple platies with female bettas? or platies w/their own kind?
My current one is a female, but sometimes it seems like she's lonely as she'll follow the other fish around, trying to fit in.
If I got more I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 more and only females as I do not want to end up with tons of platies

oh and just for fun here's a pic of the tank
Fish2110.jpg

Awesome talk :) I looked at one of those and then settled for a normal 4ft. I have 3 girl and 3 boy platys. I find they are happyer in pairs and not solo. If you have a girl either get another girl to be her buddy or a boy and girl. My ratio is two girls to one boy and they get along happy :) I had a solo platy and she died. Then another solo one who got lonely and perked up heaps when she got a buddy. A tank of girls will get long nicely with each other and othe fish.

Whats your tank decore? It looks awesome to. Mines just a long tunnel, live plants and a couple of rocks, gravel and a few shells, air stone coz they love swimming through bubbles.

I have a pair of platies and they are fine, I think one is pregnant. Ive never had babies so if its as good as it sounds i cant wait. What platys do you have

Awesome, I'll add another female platy to keep mine company; she will be so happy hopefully!
My platy is a feeder platy, which I've read is just the ones that aren't as flashy. She is beigy/yellow but has these neat black spots over her and in the right light has a gorgeous shine all over her body of light blue

Most all female livebearer's are pregnant when sold. Nice tnak by the way!!!!!!

Yeah I was thinking either I'd try to buy a younger one, which I generally see at the pet store but don't know if they sell that young, or I'd put any male fry I ended up with in my goldy tank once they were big enough; how does this sound?

When the male fry are old enough, they will breed with the female fry. Also, female's can stroe sperm for up to 6 month's. If you let the mom birth in the tank, barley any babies will make it.

I take out the best females when they're close to dropping and flog all the fry for myself. The others drop in the tank. The fry get chomped.
OR SUCKED UP THE FILTER! The poor baby, it was a pretty one too. It lived, it's fine now.

I have a pair of platies and they are fine, I think one is pregnant. Ive never had babies so if its as good as it sounds i cant wait. What platys do you have

We have 'fancy platys' i guess you could call them. Two 1/2 yellow 1/2 orange (one boy and girl), 1 dark blue and silver (male), one light/dark blue mix (male), gold and black spotted (female), silver with a blue shimmer (female). The dark blue and silver male and the spotty gold one have paired up and the other two blue ones have to. I had a batch of fry a while ago but just let nature run its course and left them in the communal tank. Only one survived. he's called hercules the SuperFish and i gave him to my best mate :) They get along well with my guppys and tetras. All live happily together.

I plan on trying to raise the next batch of fry so set up a seperate tank :)

Platy fry are so cute when their lil fins are formed. Hercules had a single black spot on him you could see when he was growing up. He ended up being silver with black dalmation spots.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back