Plastic tub aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ingrid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We have one aquarium and are thinking of getting another one . We could buy a normal aquarium but on the advice of another member who said you could use large clear containers with clear lid . I think this a great idea and so I am wondering is it possible and are there any different things I should do in a plastic aquarium that are different from the care of a conventional one ? All advice welcome and I thank everyone in advance for their responses

Many people use plastic tote type containers. You just need to be sure they are food safe. I have several that I use for quarantine tanks. I drill holes a little smaller in the lid for oxygen. I then use an HOB or canister filter and a small heater if needed. I don’t know where you live but Walmart carries the Sterlite brand that works perfect. The only downside is that the plastic is a little opaque instead of completely clear. I’m sure if you look you can find clear ones though. Anyone else? Good luck and ask if you need further information.

I would be really hesitant to use a plastic container except temporarily while you're cleaning the tank. Will you be able to attach a power filter on the side? What will happen when the thermometer is sitting next to the plastic? I assume you're meaning clear hard plastic so you can see the fish? If so - these crack extremely easily.

If you are thinking of using the transluscent white aquarium (ie., Rubbermaid) - you won't see the fish without looking down into the container - which isn't much of a view. The plastic is much softer and possibly would melt when a heater comes on.

With the plastic containers they use for the bettas (5gal or smaller) they generally use a thicker plastic but there are still complaints about cracking. You can purchase an Acrylic aquarium for about 2x the cost of a glass one. Finally you don't want a tight fitting lid on this - how will the tank receive oxygen - you'd need a number of air pumps.

In the end you'd probably save about $25 over a regular/no frills glass 10 gallon aquarium and you would have something DIY that I wouldn't put in my house. But some people really get into that DIY look. And if it's in your basement or something nobody would care (cold dampness and mold in a basement though), You could try drilling holes in the top lid for air stones, thermometers and use a filter that's either 100% outside the tank or 100% inside the tank (a canister model which can be more expensive than one that goes over the back - I've never used one myself).

Also look on ebay market place - in my area you can get about a dozen or so aquariums for less than $100. Some come with everything and are 55 gallons or so. The issue? You have to haul it yourself and most people can't do that.

Don't cheap out when it comes to aquariums. You can get a glass fishbowl for $10 - and your fish would live a month or so with daily water changes but would eventually die due to lack of O2 in the water, stress of a view all around them and the small size.

At pet's mart for $75.99 you can get a glass aquarium with a filter, lid with LED lights, and a thermometer. I don't think you could piece together what you are thinking about for much less. Heck the lights $30, Filter $15-30, Thermometer: $10, Clear Plastic container (about 5 gallons??) : $12-20. Then you still need a stand.

I can't see this being a good permanent idea. A plastic tote stands no chance against a regular fish tank as far as display goes.

It's a great idea for emergency situations. I have one that I dedicate for this reason, but I can't see it being used for anything else.

There are a lot of cheap fish tanks listed locally for a multitude of reasons that may suit your desires better in the long run. I was extremely lucky not too long ago with a Facebook listing on a local sale page and was able to get two filters, one a sunsun canister hw304b, a stand, a 48.5” x 14.5” x 25” tank, and a 48” vivagrow light and some additional items all for under $100. Try looking at your local listings and you may be surprised at what you find.

Walmart sells a glass Aqua Culture 10 gallon kit with filter, lid and light for just $32.44 and that includes shipping to your door. They have a 5 gallon kit for $29. You can't beat these prices.
I see you are in the UK so not sure this would be available to you.

If you want to display your aquarium and see your fish, go with a glass aquarium.

link to Walmart deal is here:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-10-Gallon-Aquarium-Starter-Kit-With-LED-Lighting/35326017

I do use a 9 gallon plastic tub, but only as a hospital tank.

Last edited:
Walmart sells a glass Aqua Culture 10 gallon kit with filter, lid and light for just $32.44 and that includes shipping to your door. They have a 5 gallon kit for $29. You can't beat these prices.
I see you are in the UK so not sure this would be available to you.

If you want to display your aquarium and see your fish, go with a glass aquarium.

link to Walmart deal is here:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-10-Gallon-Aquarium-Starter-Kit-With-LED-Lighting/35326017

I do use a 9 gallon plastic tub, but only as a hospital tank.
This is a very good deal. I have one of these, and the filter is adjustable, the light is pretty good for the price, and the aquarium is glass. :)

I did stand on my sterlite 35 quart container a few months ago. I turned it upside down and then stood on it to reach something up high. No issues at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back