Plastic Plant Growing Green Fury Stuff?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

adele1985

Reaction score
Just cleaned my tank and noticed the plastic plant has got green fury stuff all over it
Will this harm the fish? Should I remove it?
I've just replaced all the live plants I've got a 2ft tank and the fish I have are plates, mollies a plec and neons

It sounds like algae.
Depending on the type, it doesn't really effect the fish much. Some types can starve the tank of nutrients and/or oxygen.
What pleco do you have? Most pleco's love to eat algae so yours might eat some :) . Otherwise, you should be able to just pull it off with your fingers or a sponge :)

Make a post in the algae section with pictures and I'm sure someone will be able to identify it and tell you how to avoid it. :)

Hi thanks for the reply :)
I'm not really sure what type of plec he is he's a blackly grey colour with little white spots and a big fin on his back he looks a bit like a dinosaur to be honest lol
The fish don't seem to be that bothered about the green stuff some of the platys look like they are eating it

Actually now I've looked at the plec he doesn't have white spots lol
He's a muddy black colour and he's markings look almost like ones on a giraffe lol sorry I'm not very good at describing things I've attached a pic tho :)

Can't see the pic lol.

Google Common Pleco, Sailfin Pleco and Bristlenose Pleco and see if any of those look like yours.

Blondielovesfish said:
Can't see the pic lol.

Google Common Pleco, Sailfin Pleco and Bristlenose Pleco and see if any of those look like yours.
He's a common pleco

Okay, well, if he's a Common Pleco he unfortunately isn't suitable for your tank as they can get over a foot long :/

Wen I got him at the pet shop they said he would only grow to around 30cm long
I've had him for around 5 months now and he's not that big properly around 5cm now

30cm is a foot......

Regardless, its too big for your tank :/
And, your Pleco will most likely get stunted whcih is really bad and has terrible health effects :/

yup what blondies says is true pet stores will sell when there small and pretty much fool ya into thinking there suitable to anyh tank size.

Just cleaned my tank and noticed the plastic plant has got green fury stuff all over it
Will this harm the fish? Should I remove it?
Algeas do't harm fish except taking air from water in minimal ammounts to grow. You have plastic plants
confused.gif
so it wouldn't harm them but it doesn't look nice.
You could google your algeas so we could see what it is exactly and how to deal with it.
Small fish eat algeas especially platys, sword tail fish and mollies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back