Plants, Gravel and Planaria

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

purple_drazi

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've got a 12g eclipse set up as a planted tank (Anubias barteri, Dwarf Ambulia, Tropica Crypt and a Windelov) and everything is going great guns, the Ambulia in particular has grown from a 5" baby all the way to the top of the water surface - I'm going to have to start trimming soon!

However.. when I got them they were in the pots so I removed the pot and as much of the planting medium as I could without damaging the root system. The roots were 1" to 2" long and in order to plant them the gravel had to be at least 2" deep, slightly deeper in some cases so the plant wouldn't float away.

Now I've got Planaria (tiny white worms) ugly!! tiny white worms :crazy: because the gravel is too deep and any uneaten fish food sifts down to where I can't clean it out very well. I've reduced the amount of food I'm putting in but I can't control the fact that the fish still miss some and it drifts down to the gravel. I've got a panda cory (had 3 but keeping them alive is another story) to help with the gravel cleaning.

Part of the fix is for me to clean the gravel every day and when it is finally really clean, begin removing gravel, until it is at most 1/4" deep. But if I remove that much gravel it's going to destroy the plant roots and they'll have nothing to hold them down.

what to do?

you could switch to sand, the waste sits on the top with sand so you can just vacuum it each day and as a plus the panda cories will love it, it sso much fun warchign them scurry about the sand

umm.... don't wanna switch! I really like the look of neons against the black gravel - very cool!
and thinking about redoing the tank.... ACK!! :crazy:

(runs screaming....)

You can get black sand

The problem with gravel is that the waste sinks into it and then vacuuming disturbs the plants.

You'll need more than 1/4 inch for the plants, just try 1 and a half, and vacuum regularly

Find an organism that eats planaria and introduce it :nod:

Gravel is great with my plants, and I absolutely never use the gravel cleaner on my gravel, if anything I use it on my grass, plants don't mind being disturbed :)

Most reactions

Back