Plants and floor coverage

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Some live plants are really cheap and can be just thrown into the water, without needing to be in a substrate...and not just floating plants. Pond weed would be one good example.
These might even be cheaper than the plastic and will certainly be more useful and health-inducing for the fish.
This poster said yesterday she is on a very tight budget when I suggested live plants.

is the food dated anywhere? fish food does go off like human food
So I called the manufacturer out in beautiful San Luis Obisbo, California. They said it’s good for 3 years. The tube I have was originally packaged in a blister pack that had the exp. date. The used betta seller only had the setup for 6 months, a kid, 17, going off to college who lived in a development of MacMansions I didn’t even know existed. Mommy & Daddy must be wealthy indeed.

Since the tank is bare bottomed, obviously you can't have plants rooted in the substrate, but you could have live plants attached to decor - anubias and java fern for example - and floating plants if you want to try live plants.

Bettas do have a reputation for not realising what you give them is actually food if it's not the same as the store uses. They eventually realise it is food and start eating. The important thing is not to give too much food (an important message for your granddaughter) and to remove the uneaten food after an hour or so - turkey basters are a useful tool for this.
He actually ate this morning. I'm putting the bottom cover in today. And great idea about turkey basyer ty. I ordered a hand pump from Amazon my last diednbut is been delayed. Being handicapped its hard for me to get out but I'm sure my daughter has one. Ty

That’s a beautiful fish. please do not allow the children to add extra food, unless you’re observing & it’s the normal daily amount. Mine gets a few of those tiny pellets twice a day. Thinking of cutting back to once, but it’s only 2-3 very small pellets.
I explained it to them. Emma said she wanted to put just a few of the baby pellets and couldn't get the little container to work. She is very good at keeping track of the food. But I asked her to wait for me. Ty

how big is that tank?

also cheap/tropical/fish are 3 words that don't mix.

you wouldn't buy cheap and nasty plastic rubbish for any other pet.....fish are pets.
It's 3 and a 1/2 gallons. And no I normally wouldn't. But right now being handicapped and having to move I don't have much choice. I am getting him new things. That's why I asked for help. Thanks 😊

This poster said yesterday she is on a very tight budget when I suggested live plants.
I would love to try floating plants. I'm sorry I should of mentioned I'm handicapped and right now having a hard time getting out. I ordered those moss balls I had them a few years ago when I had a 15 gallon and lots of live plants. It was a beautiful tank but we moved across country and then I became handicapped nd it's been just the past few months I decided to get a fish again. The floating plants sound great if I can afford them. Also anything I get has to be online. I very rarely go to stores. Is sand better then pebbles?

Which country do you live in? That would make it easier to recommend on-line sellers.

I regularly throw away my floaters with my regular maintenance. If you don’t mind getting duckweed along with salvinia which is my main floating plant I will send you some for free.
also I cannot guarantee there won’t be any hitch hiking snails as I’ve got a lot of many different kinds and they are constantly reproducing.

Last edited:
How do you get rid of the snails? That would be awesome ty
Snails used to be viewed as pests, pure and simple.
Today we know better.

Snails are great at removing waste from the tank and so, whilst we don't exactly encourage them, we now tend to just let them be.
HOWEVER...

Snails are so good at exploiting waste, that if there is an excess of waste, they'll then reproduce at a frightening, (or impressive, depending upon your point of view), rate, in order to take advantage of all that free food.
Limit the waste, you limit the snails.

Over-feeding and poor tank hygiene are the two more common reasons for excess waste, to keeping the tank clean and not over-feeding will limit that snail population explosion.

If you really really need to get rid of the snails, the best way is a snail trap.
Rather than describe how to make one of these, I'll refer you to Rachel O'Leary, a respected aquarist. Watch her snail video here.

I have a colony of assassin snails. They are actively hunt all other snails and eat them. Bonus is they look quite cool as well.

Snail problem solved.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back