Planting Vallisneria sp. 'Gigantea'

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlexT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This question could probably apply to a number of plants? I read somewhere not to put 100% of the Vallisneria sp. 'Gigantea' roots under the substrate (my substrate is sand).

I have 5 bunches of these plants in juvenile form. I have planted them so they are barely in the substrate, but they are "just about" anchored in, maybe only with about 20% of the roots actually making contact with the sand (if this even makes sense reading it?)

I'm figuring the other roots that are currently not anchored into the sand will make their own way into the sand when they are good and ready? If they don't uproot and come to the surface, then I am fine I think?

Thanks

I have not come across this advice from the planted tank folks (other forums and magazine columns). I always bury the root mass completely. I roll the roots up in my hand, poke them down as far as I can (tank bottom glass). fill in around them, and then gently pull them up so the crown is not buried.

Be ready for this plant taking over your tank! Following is excerpted from my profile of this plant.

"Vallisneria gigantea" is described as originating from Papua New Guinea and the Philippines, but the true species [V. americana, see discussion] occurs throughout eastern and southeastern Asia, Oceania (Japan) and North and Central America.

There is considerable confusion over the nomenclature of this genus [see comments below], and several different "species" and varieties may be encountered in the literature; one may therefore find the same plant under various names. The subject species V. americana is a case in point, and this will be discussed below.

This species, which may often be seen under the common names of Jungle Val and Freshwater Eel Grass as well as Giant Val, is the largest; some sources give 3-4 feet for the leaf length, but others including Kasselmann (2003) give 2.3 metres (7 feet). There is a wide-leaf (blade 10-25mm wide with 5-9 veins) and a narrow-leaf (up to 10 mm with 3-5 veins) form. Some regions consider this an invasive plant; in some jurisdictions such as New Zealand it is illegal to propagate, sell or distribute this plant.

I have a lot of jungle vals, don't know them from the variety description 'Gigantea' but they grow leaves up 3m wide and over 2 meters. When I transplant them I put them in below the root top with the sand or gravel just over the bottom of the leaves. Then I gently pull them up so that the base of the leaves are sitting right at the top of the substrate. I haven't found them to be very sensitive to the placement in the past. Mine can take a while to start growing but once they do they grow quickly. They seem to pull a lot of nutrient from the water and substrate when growing well.

Thanks both @Uberhoust and also @Byron I think I might be getting confused with "roots" and "crown" so thanks for the possible clarity there. I absolutely would love them to take over the tank. With my planted 4 foot tank years back, it gave me great joy to have an abundance of healthy Vallis and Crinum thaianum. I really didn't mind the constant pruning, and often offered excess free to my contacts/friends.

Thanks for the feedback both.

Thanks both @Uberhoust and also @Byron I think I might be getting confused with "roots" and "crown" so thanks for the possible clarity there. I absolutely would love them to take over the tank. With my planted 4 foot tank years back, it gave me great joy to have an abundance of healthy Vallis and Crinum thaianum. I really didn't mind the constant pruning, and often offered excess free to my contacts/friends.

Thanks for the feedback both.
Hello, I LOVE giant vals. they take over your tank so quickly! but I think they require more bioload. the ones in my tank are slightly smaller, since my tank is really understocked.

if you have loose sand, the plants will mostly sort it out themselves, make sure all roots are in sand and the base of all leaves is above. if a few roots are outside, they will most likely just die off and new roots will grow from the bottom

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back