Planting In Undergravel Filtered Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cookiemistress

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As stated in the above how do you plan plants in an undergravel filtered tank? If at all?

Sorted

you dont.... i heard the roots reck the filter, you could do anubias/java fern on wood or just upgrade your filter? =]

You can plant a tank with an undergravel filter. I have done it. It would be better if you we]re running it as a reverse under gravel filter. However, do not use root fertilizers.

Another alternative is yo u use clay pots filled with gravel etc. and then put the plants into them.

You should not plant heavily with a ugf or rugf as this will block too much of the flow though the gravel bed.

The problem with ungraveled tank is that the plants does not grow in this tank. As their roots started to grow into the plate which in inverse stop it from being effective as a filter.

The only ones I've managed to grow are potted ones and ones grown off things like anubias. Moss is a good one. Too.

I've grown many plants in undergravel filtered tanks in my time. You do have to watch the effectiveness of the filter as they develop though and I find it's better to go with stuff that doesn't have crazy root systems.

I agree with TTA as well, a reverse flow system would be better.

It does mean that you need to be pretty dedicated to the maintenance of the gravel bed that you have clear, and java ferns and anubius, as mentioned, along with the pellias and mosses, can create a fair amount of effect to reduce the overall root burden.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back