Planted/silent cycle question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CuriousFins

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, sometime soon I'll be cycling a 10g tank. I want to planted/silent cycle it, and I'm wondering how many plants I would need to get. I've been considering an ambulia, a couple water sprites, and some dwarf sagittaria. This is my first time, so idk how much of the tank that would fill up. Is that enough, or would I need more plants?

(If it's relevant, the tank will have a betta and maybe 1 or 2 mystery snails.)

The water sprite (assuming it will be floating on the surface) will easily handle all the ammonia from a single betta, so once the plants show signs of growth (give them a few days to a couple weeks, it depends) you will be OK to add the betta.

The water sprite (assuming it will be floating on the surface) will easily handle all the ammonia from a single betta, so once the plants show signs of growth (give them a few days to a couple weeks, it depends) you will be OK to add the betta.
oh, well I was planning on planting it in the substrate. I could let them float, though. Will it make a difference?

Water sprite can be planted, but it is often used as a floating plant. Floating plants have 2 advantages -
Because they are on the surface they are near the lights and can get carbon dioxide from the air. This means they grow fast and will take up a lot of ammonia from the water.
Floating plants make fish feel more secure - they screen the fish from predators looking down into the water such as birds. The fish don't know there are no predators lurking around.

Most reactions

Back