Plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Becks1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
08bac7b7f77fa94e18d125c0aad3976b_zpsf2790aa0.jpg

Could someone tell me what the tall plant is in the middle the thin grass looking one?

Is it quickly grown an would it grow with out c02 easily...

I only have fake plants in my tank but I would like a good bit of this instead but don't want to have to do anything else to have to help make the plants grow an all if ya know what I mean...

Some help would be great thanks....

My guess is Vallisneria Nana :)

It is fairly fast growing and should be fine without CO2, obviously it would benefit from it being added though

I was going to say a dwarf lilly but I can't see the shape of the leaves that are floating. Or am I looking at the wrong plant?

at first i was going to say vallis but vallis don't have leafs on top? this looks like it is a long stem with a leaf at the end long narrow leaf like crpyts but it is not a crypt tcamos maybe right can you get a picture from above maybe?

I can't get a picture from above its not my tank I just seen the picture an liked the way it grows...

Also would you have to feed the plant anything are would the waste do that?

That's a lilly of some form, you can see the floating leaves and bulbs at the base. I'll have a ponder.

Oh, are those the stems of the lillys? 
sad2.gif

I thought they were something else, they're certainly not vallis if they're attached!

Maybe a better photo would help :)

I'm sticking with dwarf lily.

A green dwarf lilly.

Are they easy to grow in an non c02 tank with no frets... Are do they need care.. An would they die if u were to cut the Lily's of the end of some of them...

That's kind of hard for me to say as I'm not 100% sure the species you have. I believe it's the "Red and blue water lily" (N. Stellata) but I can't be sure just from that photo. I've grown them but only in a tank with C02 so I can't say how it would do without. However it was low C02 and the plant did very well in that environment.

It's considered a hardy plant but it's a bulb plant which means it will eventually die back. The bulbs can come back after the dormant period but it can be sort of disconcerting to see your lovely plant seemingly die for no reason but it's actually natural. They do need some fertilizer or at least a nutrient rich substrate, especially if they are to come back from the dormant period. Also I find they look best under bright light.  

Other than that I don't know much more about them. I've kept them successfully but don't consider myself an expert on them.

Does anyone know of any plant that's grows long leaves are stems like that one in the picture doesn't have to grow anything on the surface like the Lily's do.
Something that doesn't need much help to grow an no c02 ...
Quick growing as well..
Thanks

For low tech tanks that don't have seriously soft water, vallis. The larger forms are huge plants and grow rapidly. Vallis tends to start to struggle in high tech, I suspect because it can't get enough nutrient in fast enough.

Otherwise c.heleferi and blyxa japonica would be nice alternatives, although not as tall or fast as some of the vallis is.

Thanks
Suppose I should of said I would like it to grow to the surface an grow a bit on it...
My tank is 22 inches high....

Most reactions

trending

Back