Plant Tank Transfer, Do I Dare?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Daylar

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old amazon sword plant in a 10G tank. It's freaking massive but I just left it in there for the shimp to enjoy. It originally was for a Betta. It stopped making baby plants about a year ago.

I have a 40G tank that is for cichlids and it's about to get a make over and I'm thinking the plant would be better off in there as it will have more room.

The worry I have however is the transfer itself. I originally had two in my 10G tank when I first planted them and they both started getting big so I moved one over to my 29G tank.... It did ok for about a year and then it started to split apart and now it's just got fragments of it left, infact the last piece just uprooted itself and is floating around now. I don't want the other plant to have the same fate.

Currently the 10G tank, again; is populated by ghost shrimp and is at 76F. Picture of the plant is attached.
The 40G tank has 1 tomato cichlid and a rubber nose pleco; they're both aggressive buggers that I had to pull from other tanks into this one and they leave each other alone, but that tank is at 81F and is currently not planted.

My gut is telling me don't do it.

Thoughts?

plant.jpeg

I would say go with your gut feeling, let the old sword plant stay in its home, and find a new “mother plant” or other beautiful sword plant to place into your new cichlid tank.

I had an Amazon sword outgrow a 75 gallon tank. You can slow them down a lot by pruning leaves when snaller, too late now. it can be trans[lanted but it will be messy. it will have a pretty huge root system. If you decide to move it, you will need to prune back the roots before you replant it. It needs to put out new roots in the new substrate. It is also possible to divide sword plants. Have a read here
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/amazon-swords-how-to-split-them.3911/

Or, if you do a search on this site for help you will find this https://www.fishforums.net/threads/how-to-split-an-amazon-sword-plant.341962/

I vote to keep it in its current home. I would wait until it develops a few plantlets. lLt those mature until the 3 to 5 inch size with good roots and then plant them in the larger tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back