How To Split An Amazon Sword Plant

scotty

Fish Herder
Reaction score
as the title says,my sword plant has become very big and bushy,would like to make it smaller,any help would be appreciated.

thanks

scott

as the title says,my sword plant has become very big and bushy,would like to make it smaller,any help would be appreciated.

thanks

scott

mrs biffster say divide the root just as if
it was household plant so there is equal amounts
of roots and propagate like a normal garden plant :blink:

If it has only one crown, all you can do is cut off the outside leaves. If there are a number of crowns, you can cut the root into parts so that each crown has some. Amazon swords also propagate by "runners" which come off like leaves do, you can cut these off.

To prevent them from growing too large, I generally plant mine into smallish pots, so that they do not have enough space to develop good roots.

You can try trimming the roots short, but this is only a short term measure as it usually makes them grow back even faster.

thanks for the advice,i will take it out and have a look at it.

cheers

scotty

If it has only one crown, all you can do is cut off the outside leaves. If there are a number of crowns, you can cut the root into parts so that each crown has some. Amazon swords also propagate by "runners" which come off like leaves do, you can cut these off.

To prevent them from growing too large, I generally plant mine into smallish pots, so that they do not have enough space to develop good roots.

You can try trimming the roots short, but this is only a short term measure as it usually makes them grow back even faster.

so how can you tell how many crowns it has?

From how many points on the root do the leaves come from? 1 point = 1 crown, 2 points = 2 crowns.

mrs biffster's advice will work too, I suspect, altho I have never tried that myself.

I'd settle for someone telling me how to get my swords to thrive again. :sad:

I've currently got a daughter plant of the first aquatic plant I ever bought that is just absolutely stagnant. But it's in a bigger tank with more light, more CO2, more circulation better fertilization and . . . nothing. The mama plant went crazy (until the unfortunate goldfish infestation and resulting sword buffet, R.I.P.), but the daughters, not so much. Only difference beyond the things that should, theoretically make a positive difference noted above, is sand substrate now versus gravel for Mommy.

Whoa . . . I mean . . . Not to completely hijack the thread. Errr, sorry about that.

I can say that when a sword plant has more than one crown, it's pretty easy to see. Not a lot of ambiguity there. It begins a whole new "clump" of leaves growing off the side of the original clump.

Though I've never done it, I can see the "slice off a chunk of leaves" or "split the crown" method working too, so long as you get enough crown and roots. That's pretty invaisive surgery though, so I'd guess anything split that way may take a little while licking its wounds before it really began to grow at all. As I say, I've never done it that way since I always had multiple crowns and/or runners.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back