Plant suggestions for half sand half flourite 18gal tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

QiQi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After 5 hours of catching shrimp, cleaning, changing substrate and rescaping it is finally done!!! Currently going through a mini cycle, and it's still a bit blurry (damn you flourite!!). I am happy with the result. I was thinking on adding some more plants. Maybe some dwarf hairgrass on the sand around the rocks? What other plants would suit this tank?
IMG_20210310_132331973(1).jpg

Anacharis, vals, and Amazon swords would be good. Dwarf hairgrass may be alright as well.

(Just make sure you have liquid ferts/root tabs)

Anacharis
Thought you were sick of the stuff? ?

the rocks? What other plants would suit this tank?
Anything but anacharis ?

Its just a personal taste but I hate the look of anacharis. Its wonderful for a planted cycle, it sucks nitrogen out of the water, but other than that, its a bit of an uncontrollable, messy plant.

Would you consider any red or brown leaved plants? Alternanthera reineckii 'mini' and crypt wendtii (brown) would appreciate your active substrate.
For the back, maybe vallis? Or crypt crispulata? And yes, as PK says, some swords - Echinodorus bleheri, Echinodorus vesuvias.
hydrocotyle japan is a pretty good plant that you can train to grow along the substrate.. not strictly a carpet plant, but can have the same effect.
Or maybe some micro swords.
heteranthera zosterifolia is a good one for filling out some space.
Theres buce plants which are epiphytic and need attaching to wood or stone...

I really like hydrocotyle japan but I have a feeling it doesn't suit my tank.

I think I will move the heater next to the sponge filter and plant an amazon sword behind the redmoor ( need to find a new place for the big tiger lotus, maybe next to it).
In front of the sponge filter I have some hygrophila corymbosa and a second tiger lotus, I will keep trimming them to have more of a medium height bushy look.
Alternanthera reineckii 'mini' and micro swords on the left side around the rocks.

Thanks for all these ideas!! My main issue was that I don't know all the names for the plants, but I know that I need bushy and boarder leaves to suit this tank. Now I need to think where plant them haha!! I will post an update in some point when I add more plants for feedback :)

Most reactions

trending

Back