• Azoo Plant Grower Bed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Sea Flora Base

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DaveW

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The more I look at upgrading my tank for plants, the more choices there is to make. But as you can see by the poll asking what people use or would use if they where setting up a new tank, is probably the best way to help me choice.

Thanks in advance.

In the first planted tank we used API Laterite, mixed with sand, then a gravel layer.

now I just use playsand and root tabs... (again API)
I'm ding better with this mix (even with less light)

None of the above I'm afraid. I used "API First Layer Laterite" topped with "Dennerle Black Quartz".

I use sand and laterite which seems to work pretty well. The Eco-complete stuff sounds very nifty but too expensive in my opinion.
I got 4 bags of EcoComplete on sale for like $10 apiece. Shipping was a bit, but considering the weight, not too bad. The stuff looks great and is very easy to plant in. My only complaint is that it raises KH and GH initially.

Recommended if you've got the money. Otherwise, laterite seems to be the best cheap option.

Thanks guys & girls.

I think it will come down to how much money I have!

I did like the looks of the Seachem Flourite, but I would need 3 to 4 bags @ £20 a bag. That's to expensive :X .

Then there is the Eco Complete which will be about £45, but no other substrate. I like the idea of not having layer of substrate, but still fairly expensive.

But as money is probably going to be the main factor, especially after buying £50 of lighting upgrade and £155 of JBL Proflora CO2 set 2. My choice, as the popular substrate, Api laterite. I think I'll top it with a fine gravel, but I still like the sand which I have at the moment. Choices :crazy:

I've got a mixture of Eco-complete and black Oynx Sand. Pretty expensive but looks good and does wonders for the plants.

paul.

a Gravel Tidy dose have very small holes in it so i would think that the roots would work there way through it over time . im not to sure that the roots need to be touching the Eco-complete for it to work .i think as long as the Eco-complete is under the roots this should work fine

I like the idea, but if the roots go through it might be a bit hard to rearrange the tank. As I probably will be moving the plants around for a while it might not be the best thing for me.

Most reactions

Back