Plant identification

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jadzir

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the name of this plant please ?
7504F1B0-5976-4B95-9812-3807F3E4A754.jpeg

It looks like water sprite, which can be planted in the substrate or used as a floating plant.

I have a different species in mind, and it is not far off @Essjay because the two are frequently confused and can appear similar in their leaves/fronds. This is Wisteria, the species Hygrophila difformis. The info below is from a profile of this species I wrote for another site and may be of interest. [I mentioned leaves/fronds...Water Sprite (Ceratopteris species) is a true fern so the "leaves" are more accurately termed fronds.]

With its finely divided [termed pinnate] leaves and light green colour, this ferny-looking stem plant is a nice contrast to other plants in the aquarium. It is sometimes confused with the true fern Ceratopteris thalictroides. The usual common name of this plant is Wisteria, although it is not closely related to the true botanical Wisteria genus.​
The leaf shape is determined by the temperature and light. At lower temperatures the leaves are smooth-edged and smaller and less pinnate as shown in the second photo above; at higher temperatures and brighter light the leaves will be sharply divided (pinnate) and closer together on the stem as in the first photo. Lower light will also cause the lower leaves to fall off.​
This species will grow emersed, although it will produce aerial leaves that will be dark green and oval rather than the lacy submersed form; flowers will only appear with emersed growth. The emersed leaves look something like those in the second photo below that shows the leaf form resulting from lower temperatures and less light.​
This is a stem plant, so when grown submersed each stem will continue to grow toward the strongest light source. Lower potions usually become bare over time so the stem can be cut and the tip portion with the newer growth replanted.​
Propagation is done by cutting off side shoots and burying the cut ends in the substrate. Leaves and roots will grow from each node on the stem, so be sure there are several nodes on each piece of stem. Three or four stalks can be planted together but as they grow the closeness of the stems will cause the lower leaves to fall off. Planting the stalks individually will maintain a bushier appearance. Cutting off the tip of the stem will cause the stem to branch out quite profusely. The stems should be pruned before they reach the surface as this will cause a change in growth habit. Vegetative reproduction is very high with this species, as roots will emerge from most or all of the stem nodes.​
This is an ideal plant for a new aquarium due to its rapid growth requiring the assimilation of nitrogen (as ammonium) and nutrients which also helps combat algae. It is also a good plant for beginners, as it is hardy and easy to cultivate provided it is regularly trimmed. It needs a good source of nutrients, so regular liquid fertilization is beneficial to maintain a healthy plant. It does well in lower (moderate) light though growth will be slower.​

Attachments

• Hygrophila difformis1.jpg
    Hygrophila difformis1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Hygrophila difformis2.jpg
    Hygrophila difformis2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Hygrophila difformis3.jpg
    Hygrophila difformis3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 46
Listen to Byron, not me :)

It just looked like the plant sold to me as Ceratopteris cornuta = water sprite.

Listen to Byron, not me :)

It just looked like the plant sold to me as Ceratopteris cornuta = water sprite.

They are very frequently confused, due to the "ferny" leaf appearance. Here's my 4-foot 70g when the Wisteria (H. difformis) was thriving, along with Water Sprite floating, and crypts and aponogeton planted. The fish were Chocolate Gourami (they spawned several times), pygmy sparkling gourami, hengeli rasbora, eye-spot rasbora, and a group of Botia kubotai loaches.

Attachments

• 70g Sep 8-09 Lg.JPG
    70g Sep 8-09 Lg.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 39
I have a different species in mind, and it is not far off @Essjay because the two are frequently confused and can appear similar in their leaves/fronds. This is Wisteria, the species Hygrophila difformis. The info below is from a profile of this species I wrote for another site and may be of interest. [I mentioned leaves/fronds...Water Sprite (Ceratopteris species) is a true fern so the "leaves" are more accurately termed fronds.]

With its finely divided [termed pinnate] leaves and light green colour, this ferny-looking stem plant is a nice contrast to other plants in the aquarium. It is sometimes confused with the true fern Ceratopteris thalictroides. The usual common name of this plant is Wisteria, although it is not closely related to the true botanical Wisteria genus.​
The leaf shape is determined by the temperature and light. At lower temperatures the leaves are smooth-edged and smaller and less pinnate as shown in the second photo above; at higher temperatures and brighter light the leaves will be sharply divided (pinnate) and closer together on the stem as in the first photo. Lower light will also cause the lower leaves to fall off.​
This species will grow emersed, although it will produce aerial leaves that will be dark green and oval rather than the lacy submersed form; flowers will only appear with emersed growth. The emersed leaves look something like those in the second photo below that shows the leaf form resulting from lower temperatures and less light.​
This is a stem plant, so when grown submersed each stem will continue to grow toward the strongest light source. Lower potions usually become bare over time so the stem can be cut and the tip portion with the newer growth replanted.​
Propagation is done by cutting off side shoots and burying the cut ends in the substrate. Leaves and roots will grow from each node on the stem, so be sure there are several nodes on each piece of stem. Three or four stalks can be planted together but as they grow the closeness of the stems will cause the lower leaves to fall off. Planting the stalks individually will maintain a bushier appearance. Cutting off the tip of the stem will cause the stem to branch out quite profusely. The stems should be pruned before they reach the surface as this will cause a change in growth habit. Vegetative reproduction is very high with this species, as roots will emerge from most or all of the stem nodes.​
This is an ideal plant for a new aquarium due to its rapid growth requiring the assimilation of nitrogen (as ammonium) and nutrients which also helps combat algae. It is also a good plant for beginners, as it is hardy and easy to cultivate provided it is regularly trimmed. It needs a good source of nutrients, so regular liquid fertilization is beneficial to maintain a healthy plant. It does well in lower (moderate) light though growth will be slower.​
Thanks for the information.
I have flourish root tabs in there. It has grown in the two weeks I have had it.
Going to the lfs tomorrow to pick up some liquid fertiliser. Should I get the seachem one ?
If not which do you recommend?
Thanks

Thanks for the information.
I have flourish root tabs in there. It has grown in the two weeks I have had it.
Going to the lfs tomorrow to pick up some liquid fertiliser. Should I get the seachem one ?
If not which do you recommend?
Thanks

You are (I assume) in the UK, so you could get TNL which is Total Nutrition Light. This is a micro nutrient liquid, much like Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, except TNC Lite has no nitrate or phosphorus and that is a plus; these are admittedly very minimal in the Flourish, which I use (cannot get TNC here without very expensive shipping) and it is not problematic but I like to narrow things down when I can, and with fish in the tank being fed there is no reason to ever be adding nitrate and phosphorus.

Link to TNC Lite:

If you go with the Seachem, make sure it is exactly the "Flourish" product named, as there are others not needed here.

You are (I assume) in the UK, so you could get TNL which is Total Nutrition Light. This is a micro nutrient liquid, much like Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, except TNC Lite has no nitrate or phosphorus and that is a plus; these are admittedly very minimal in the Flourish, which I use (cannot get TNC here without very expensive shipping) and it is not problematic but I like to narrow things down when I can, and with fish in the tank being fed there is no reason to ever be adding nitrate and phosphorus.

Link to TNC Lite:

If you go with the Seachem, make sure it is exactly the "Flourish" product named, as there are others not needed here.
Will see if I can find the TNC light.
Yes I am in the UK.
Thanks

Found the TNC light on Amazon.
Have a bottle arriving tomorrow so will dose after my water change.
At the dose it says a 500ml bottle will last 16 weeks.
Works out about 65p per week.
I am taking weekly photos to monitor plant growth so will see what difference this makes.

Most reactions

Back