plant filters

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ste2k3

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
the tank is 35 gallons and has about 2" of clay based gravel and ferlilizer in. there are two t5 tubes and one blue. the filter has a capacity of about 2 gallons and there is just under a gallon of media in. the temp is 28C and the turnover through the filter is 15 times an hour. the tank has a few messy fish in like a big synodontis a couple of pictus, geophagus, anastomus etc. I know that the water is turned over through the filter to fast but what would the best turnover be? also, what other equipment do you think would be good for god plant growth? i was thinking of getting a co2 system. either a co2 bottle and bel jar from sanderf as seen in pfk or the new one from hagen (i think) which uses yeast etc which do you think is better.? any advive welcome.

oh, and one last question, how do you stop algae from growing on the plants. In marine systems I use fluidised rowaphos but what do you use in plant tanks?

thanx in advance.

For CO2 I have done a fair bit of reading on it, but not a lot of practise so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I have found a great improvement in my plants since I started with CO2, despite having less than optimal lighting. The CO2 seems to do its trick, but it is best with more light, which I am sure you know.

For larger tanks a tank of CO2 and the appropriate hard ware is better, but more expensive. For a smaller tank the yeast system is definately cheaper and it can be met with great results. It is also very easy to do it yourself. I am a University student so i couldnt afford to buy the hagen system for yeast, but I imagine it is less hassle. It depends on whether you want a project to work on or not.

Good Luck!
Pat

Filters are somewhat not as important in a planted tank, lighting is.
How much is that wattage of your light, and what do you mean by "blue"?

Anyway, yes, co2 does help alot, even if you have low lohgt. The theory that I know is like this:

With co2, the plant doesnt use much energy to gather co2, so it can just focus on gathering light, and utilize whatever is available, so the result, is bigger, faster,better growth.

thanx for the advice. when i say blue i mean a blue actinic which comes on before the main lights as not to shock the fish when the t5's come on.

I dont about actinic, but I think its not used in the planted tank. Read more about it.

Anyway, how much is the wattage of your lights all together? Also, I dont konw about the fish getting shocked, unless its a a really sensitive species. I have my lihgts on and off, all at the same time, with no stress to the fish(since they sort of know when the lights are on and off)

the blue will have no affect on the plants. basicaly there is a total of 38watts of light over it excluding the blue. I only have the blue to gradually break the fish into the day. because the room is dark, when the lights come on it can give the fish a bit of a shock. thanx again.

Most reactions

Back