Plant fertilizer

Sky042

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've got some plants in a tank thats still cycling the nitrate reading isn't very high like 20 in fact the ammonia level is barely readable and nitrite is like .5 so the plants don't have much to consume. some of them are looking a little brown I was wondering if there is anything I can add to help keep the plants from dying. the fish are great oddly I'm having more trouble keeping the greens green.

click the gouramis link in my signature if you need a tank pic.

Do you mean your bowfront tank?

If so, I've got the same tank, and if ...

1) You're using tap water, not RO or distilled, and
2) You are using a standard 36", 30W single bulb light strip,

then, in my opinion, you probably don't need to worry about fertilizers yet, and it's fairly probable that the browning is caused by insufficient light.

If you could list your lighting, and what kinds of plants you have, that would help.

DSC01508.jpg

This tank 5G hex
11w compact flourescent(the kind that screw into an incandescent socket (equiv to 50w incandescent)

I'm not sure the name of the plants. but they don't look nearly as green now as they did in that pic.

It's anacharis, and when I put mine in my 5.5 gallon tank with a 14w fluorescent, the plants melted. Their shoots will be thinner and not as leafy to acclimate to your lighting. In the meantime, prepare to have a bit of a mess on your hands.

I think the light is probably the problem. In my somewhat limited experience with them, those compact fluorescents tend to have a very low spectrum, around 2700K. So although you may be getting the Wattage, you are not covering a lot of the spectrum used by the plants.

Total aside, what sort of a car is that?

Lateral Line said:
I think the light is probably the problem. In my somewhat limited experience with them, those compact fluorescents tend to have a very low spectrum, around 2700K. So although you may be getting the Wattage, you are not covering a lot of the spectrum used by the plants.

Total aside, what sort of a car is that?
according to packagin. Its natural daylight 6500k. It's actually designed for aquariums not for replacing a light in your house.

>>> Its natural daylight 6500k

Hmmm, okay, if they say so. I've not seen one like that. Whatever, Ancharis is a fast growing medium to high light demanding plant, which benefits from CO2 injection, it tends to get long and leggy otherwise.

You didn't answer my car question...

Lateral Line said:
>>> Its natural daylight 6500k

You didn't answer my car question...
click my other hobby links in my signature. It's my 2002 Camaro SS

>>> click my other hobby links in my signature. It's my 2002 Camaro SS

I did! They are just standard index lists of pictures. I do not know American cars, hence my question.

Most reactions

Back