Planning First Reef

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

4DDM

Reaction score
Hi all, think I may have posted on here some time ago, but now I have sold my flat and am moving, I will have a bit more time to start on my reef setup. I currently have a 210l freshwater tropical tank which I am going to convert after the move.

I am planning on running a Berlin system with a sump bellow to house unsightly eqt. and allow for future expansion in the shape of calcium reactors and refugium and just generally increase capacity to keep things more stable.

I know I want lots of water movement in the tank and don’t really like the idea of power heads everywhere as they seem to clog up and just generally take up space and look a bit messy.

I was thinking about using 3 return pumps of an appropriate size and plumb their outputs to various corners of the tank. 2 in the front corners run underneath the substrate would allow flow to be directed at the front of the live rock whilst looking fairly tidy. I was then going to alternate the pumps to create different flows and currents in the tank. Then I got thinking, if a pump is not running, will water start to siphon back into the sump from the main tank? I am thinking about using Eheim hobby pumps, but open to suggestions. Do any pumps have a one way valve system? Can valves be brought? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I did consider using 1 large pump with electronic valves to alter flow to outputs, but I know I need the 2 pumps for when one fails. I suppose I could use 2 pumps with an electronic valve. Any one got experience with this type of valves and salt water? Makes models would be useful.

Would I just be best using powerheads or perhaps just an external pump in a closed loop moving water from 1 point to another? Time and effort are not really a worry for me, I want the end result to be as good as it can be. Money is always a bit of a concern, but I would rather delay the tank for 2 months than always wish I had done it another way.

I would appreciate any advice given.

Thanks,
Adam

No one got any info? Just say if you think I am a lunatic and should use powerheads. I was going over the design in my head and think it may be better to use two pumps returning 100% of the time (10-15 times the volume) and use some electric valves to direct the flow to different outlets in the tank.

This way water, siphoning back into the tank when a pump was not running would not be a concern. I plan to back up parts of the system with a UPS and the whole system with a little generator (electrical background), so power cuts should not be an issue. However there is still the unexpected... pump failures, blown fuses, UPS\Generator\changeover failure.

I would go for a bigger sump to allow for some back siphoning, but as I plan to have 2 outlets at low level, it would have to be a big sump and the fish would need to be pretty special to live without water!!!

Thanks,
Adam

You do realise the stuff your on about buying ie solenoid valves etc will cost a fortune....

I know it is not going to be cheap and I would not have started planning it if I was not prepared to spend the money.

Thanks for the PM Chac.

Why dont you simply drill a hole in the top of hte tank and ru nthe return pipe through these. Then run the piipe down the side of the tank (this can be hidden by liverock) and under the substrate to achieve the effects you want. To the naked eye you would not tell the difference. To stop the water from back syphoning all you doo is simply make a small hole in each return pipe in the tank close to the very top of the waterline. Water wil lexcpe from this of course but it wont effect the main flow of hte system. God forbid you ever have a power ouage and thus cause a back syphon, but should thi happen, the moment hte water levels drops below the tiny holes you have made, air will get into the pipes and break the syphon and thus save your carpet.

Most reactions

Back