tenohfive
Always room for one more tank...
In my study I've got an 85L long (3ft x 1ft x 1ft) tank with some flavour of Eheim external (2222/4) and a Fluval 2+ running on it, and frankly I'm bored and fancy something a bit different. In the past I'd just setup a new tank but I'm being more sensible now and have instead decided to convert the tank to a river setup. I like the idea of doing various levels, some in and some out of the water but I wouldn't know where to begin so I've gone based on the idea that the tank will be almost entirely submerged.
Aquascaping:
In the right corner I was thinking of a powerhead and the 2+ hidden inside a rocky cave bit, with the fluval outlet a few inches above the water to give a waterfall trickle effect. Would probably hide the external inlet there too. To the right of middle a pile of smooth stones and slate, going quite high up - piled up high enough to be towards the bottom edge of the strong part of the flow. Some thin roots/branches next along, submerged in the substrate along with a couple of small but hardy plants. Far left corner would be a mix of rocks and slate to create caves and hiding places. And the front few inches along the length would be a clear open swimming space. Somewhere in the middle I was thinking of a big boulder (well, big stone really) and a few floating plants.
I'm open to suggestions on substrate, I've used both gravel and sand before. On this tank I was thinking of a fine gravel in quite a light brown colour - something thats got the lighter colouration of sand but the texture of gravel if that makes any sense.
Flow
I was thinking about getting a cheap but powerful powerhead - filtration's not an issue as stated above - just something to put out alot of flow to give it a river feel and give the occupants something to play in. Whilst I'm keen on the waterfall idea I'd like to keep the main powerhead submerged to give it that punch.
Stocking
I've had my heart set on a some flavour of butterfly hillstream loach (ideally Sewellia lineolata) for some time, so I want a few of them hence the rocks in the flow. Whilst you're reading this, I'll be reading up on how many I can have - I'm thinking 4 - 5. In addition to that I'd like to keep my danio's, and either add to them or pop in some praecox rainbows (which I know from past experience will shoal with the danio's.)
An L15, a BN and a couple of loaches that already call the tank home could stay (the far left cave is with them in mind) and then maybe 4 peacock gobies.
How does the above sound? Any suggestions on any aspect gratefully received.
Aquascaping:
In the right corner I was thinking of a powerhead and the 2+ hidden inside a rocky cave bit, with the fluval outlet a few inches above the water to give a waterfall trickle effect. Would probably hide the external inlet there too. To the right of middle a pile of smooth stones and slate, going quite high up - piled up high enough to be towards the bottom edge of the strong part of the flow. Some thin roots/branches next along, submerged in the substrate along with a couple of small but hardy plants. Far left corner would be a mix of rocks and slate to create caves and hiding places. And the front few inches along the length would be a clear open swimming space. Somewhere in the middle I was thinking of a big boulder (well, big stone really) and a few floating plants.
I'm open to suggestions on substrate, I've used both gravel and sand before. On this tank I was thinking of a fine gravel in quite a light brown colour - something thats got the lighter colouration of sand but the texture of gravel if that makes any sense.
Flow
I was thinking about getting a cheap but powerful powerhead - filtration's not an issue as stated above - just something to put out alot of flow to give it a river feel and give the occupants something to play in. Whilst I'm keen on the waterfall idea I'd like to keep the main powerhead submerged to give it that punch.
Stocking
I've had my heart set on a some flavour of butterfly hillstream loach (ideally Sewellia lineolata) for some time, so I want a few of them hence the rocks in the flow. Whilst you're reading this, I'll be reading up on how many I can have - I'm thinking 4 - 5. In addition to that I'd like to keep my danio's, and either add to them or pop in some praecox rainbows (which I know from past experience will shoal with the danio's.)
An L15, a BN and a couple of loaches that already call the tank home could stay (the far left cave is with them in mind) and then maybe 4 peacock gobies.
How does the above sound? Any suggestions on any aspect gratefully received.







