Planaria?

Amunet

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
3,612
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Carolina
There are some mystery worms in my shrimp tank that I'm just not sure what they are.
They seem to stay on the piece of wood in the tank. I know they were there before the wood was added. I remember seeing on on the tank glass and going in to the substrate.
They're white, fat, tiny, and look to have these white stripes on the head & tail area (that go across the body), & down along the "spine".
We've had planaria before, and usually they're just these really thin wiggling things floating around the water or on the tank glass, and these little worms don't look like them at all.... unless they're just planaria that have fattened up a bit *shrugs*

Tryed getting a photo of one of them.....

When taking the photo, thought it was just the 1 worm, but turns out... that big white thing beside it was a whole group of them on eachother :blink:
worms.jpg


They don't appear to be in the least bit interested in the shrimp, have never seen anything hanging off of the shrimp, or fish that used to be in the tank.
 
Geoff1991 had a thread regarding planaria problem not long ago, search for it nd im sure youll find answers in there :) tho IME ive never seen a group like that - thats not to say i go looking for them tho
 
*nods* I'm not sure if these little worms are planaria though. We've had planaria before. And they're usually very thin squiggly things. I know what those look like, and these worms looking nothing like that.
It's just slightly disturbing seeing these things glide over the piece of wood, and then that big ball of them was weird lol. I mean I don't mind if they're in the tank if they're not harming anything, but I'm just super curious to know what they are.
 
This tank is just full of weird wriggling things... was looking in to the tank earlier, and saw a couple of these worm things wriggling in the water. Not planaria & not the worms I made this thread for... they had black heads on them... some kind of insect larvae or something.. *shrugs*
Nothing better hurt my shrimp!
 
Definitley not planaria, unless that's a photo taken with a microscope or a super strong macro lense. Much too big. No idea what they are to be honest, I would be a little grossed out though personally :lol: :sick:
 
Definitley not planaria, unless that's a photo taken with a microscope or a super strong macro lense. Much too big. No idea what they are to be honest, I would be a little grossed out though personally :lol: :sick:


*nods* That's what I thought. I didn't think they were planaria since I've only ever seen them tiny and very thin which these aren't, but I wasn't sure. Was thinking... maybe it's planaria that just fattened up a bit or something rofl *shrugs* Just a mystery I guess... sigh.
Oh I am a bit grossed out by them, but *shrugs* what can ya do lol.
 
Not sure why people are grossed out by these little critters, after all this is part of the food chain and essential for the vast number of fishes survival in the wild!

Personally I welcome all critters in my tank as long as they don't become a direct threat or nuisance (unlike snails :rolleyes: ).
 
I've always been grossed out by wormy grubby things. Just bleh.
But... not so much by bloodworms.... *shrugs*


Anywho! I had to resurrect my old thread b/c I took a video of one of them! I don't think it'll help identify it since it's a sucky vid but still... doesn't hurt to try heh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztp9-iU0VVg

I also spotted one the other day crawling on the ramshorn snail's shell... and saw one moving over a moss ball.
 
There are many species of planaria, some that look quite different from the white ones frequently seen. From the video, I'd say that is a planarian based on how it moves. Can't help any more than that. :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top