Piranhas

nobody??? :-(

Oh well I'll tell you about mine then, I have 2 RBP's (P nattereri) and they live with some neons, black neons, glowlights, and chinese algea eaters.

I feed them cichlid pellets and other floating fish foods usually, but I do sometimes give them some meat/fish or shrimp to eat, They are pretty cool fishes and are about 6" right now :kana:

here are a couple of pics of them, but I have changed the tank around with smaller gravel, removal of all driftwood and the addition of a brighter bulb which is not blue and a few live plants, it lookd much better now.
Oh and I turned round the background so it is plain blue now.

78Piranh01-med.JPG

78pir_in01-med.JPG

joshua said:
wait for smb and juanvedelz to come on and speak to you, they have the big bad meanie cichlids lol
what kinds?

flowerhorns and RD's and Jaguars and stuff?

Hi Innes,

Welcome to the forum :)

I have one lonely rbp, named Carnage. I got him one month ago from this clueless kid who was keeping him in a 30 gallon tank with a convict cichlid. Both of them were looking pretty rough when I brought them home, but I separated them and started treating them better, and they're both looking pretty good now. The guy who sold them to me said he never did water changes and all he had ever fed Carnage were feeder fish. Carnage still eats live fish, but he's also eating frozen krill and bloodworms, and live earthworms. I'm not sure how old he is. The guy said he had him for over a year, but he's still just a few inches and still has his spots, so I don't know if the guy was lying or if Carnage is just permanently stunted from his poor treatment. I'm pretty sure he has grown since I got him, so I suppose time will tell.

Alright, I went and posted some before and after pics of him here.

I also sent Jeff (smb) to come talk to you about piranhas. lol

joshua said:
wait for smb and juanvedelz to come on and speak to you, they have the big bad meanie cichlids lol
Only one cichlid now, a M. chipokae. :smb:

what kinds?

flowerhorns and RD's and Jaguars and stuff?

I didn't know you had p's Innes. I thought you only had cichlids. That's cool.

yea, I had a flowerhorn until a couple months ago. I thought it was a Midas when I bought it. That was the meanest sob I ever saw. Hated everything including me. Would jump out of the tank at me to bite me whenever I opened the lid. I loved that fish.

I have 6 rbp's right now. These 6 I got a month ago and they were about .5" but the biggest is over 2" already now. I've had quite a few p's and have kept them for about 17 years and cichlids for about 27 years. I've had about every aggro cichlid except for the big 3- umbi, dovii and beani. I want a beanie really bad but if given the choice of any cichlid, I might have to go with a male dovii. :smb:

These 6 p's I have now are the best batch I've ever had. They love the light, aren't afraid of me at all and are always out swimming. Whenever I come up to the tank they are there at the top wiggling like cichlids do. When I put my hand in the tank they come after it and they sometimes bite my python when I do wc's. They have eaten flake food right off the top and even under the lights since the very first day. These guys rock! :smb:

I got Kirsten (AquaNut) into p's and cichlids now too. Yayyyyyyy, go me I said. :thumbs:

Hopefully, Kirsten will let me have a 280g in the future so I can get a dovii. :wub:

lol yeah I have piranhas, cichlids, and well almost everything freshwater :p

I do sugest the dovii but only if you have like 300gallons for it, and if you did have 300gallons spare, I would not be suggesting a dovii :rolleyes:

Aquanut - piranhas do repair themselves in amazing quick time if given the right conditions, and also your P has a lovely colour, I would reccomend getting a couple of other pygos as they do like being in groups :)

and smb - how do you know me as having cichlids? from my posts on Piranha-Fury?
:lol:

and smb - how do you know me as having cichlids? from my posts on this site or somewere else?

I sent you a PM yesterday telling you who I was at p-fury. Did you forget already? :p

smb said:
and smb - how do you know me as having cichlids? from my posts on this site or somewere else?

I sent you a PM yesterday telling you who I was at p-fury. Did you forget already? :p
lol you posted that just as I rememberd and changed it :unsure:

I guess I'm a bit too forgetfull at times - :p

Innes said:
Aquanut - piranhas do repair themselves in amazing quick time if given the right conditions, and also your P has a lovely colour, I would reccomend getting a couple of other pygos as they do like being in groups :)
Thanks Innes; I think his colour is compliments of the krill he eats every few days. I realise he would like some companions, but there are a couple of reasons he doesn't have any yet. One reason is that Jeff is moving here in the spring and hasn't decided yet if he's going to ship his piranhas to me before he comes. If I set up a much bigger tank now so I could add some and have a shoal of them with Carnage, we'd end up with two great big piranha tanks. :rolleyes: I have quite a few other tanks, and there's no way we'll have room for two 75 or 90 gallon tanks of rbp's. The other thing is, like I said, I'm not sure how old he is nor if he's going to do much growing for me because of the treatment he received (or didn't receive) from his previous owner. I'm afraid that if I got him into a larger tank with some other rbp's, that they'd soon out-grow him and then kill him. If he continues to do well for me and he grows, AND Jeff decides not to ship his piranhas here, then I will definitely get him some friends. If not, at least I know he's being well fed and has clean water, which is more than could be said for the poor lil guy's previous arrangements. :thumbs:

AquaNut said:
Innes said:
Aquanut - piranhas do repair themselves in amazing quick time if given the right conditions, and also your P has a lovely colour, I would reccomend getting a couple of other pygos as they do like being in groups  :)
Thanks Innes; I think his colour is compliments of the krill he eats every few days. I realise he would like some companions, but there are a couple of reasons he doesn't have any yet. One reason is that Jeff is moving here in the spring and hasn't decided yet if he's going to ship his piranhas to me before he comes. If I set up a much bigger tank now so I could add some and have a shoal of them with Carnage, we'd end up with two great big piranha tanks. :rolleyes: I have quite a few other tanks, and there's no way we'll have room for two 75 or 90 gallon tanks of rbp's. The other thing is, like I said, I'm not sure how old he is nor if he's going to do much growing for me because of the treatment he received (or didn't receive) from his previous owner. I'm afraid that if I got him into a larger tank with some other rbp's, that they'd soon out-grow him and then kill him. If he continues to do well for me and he grows, AND Jeff decides not to ship his piranhas here, then I will definitely get him some friends. If not, at least I know he's being well fed and has clean water, which is more than could be said for the poor lil guy's previous arrangements. :thumbs:
I do not believe adding other P's will be the problem you suspect, but good luck with it B)

Oh and your lucky, mine dont eat krill :sad:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back