Pink Fiji sand with corydoras

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hokieokieamy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got a new tank and sand...not realizing how coarse the sand is AFTER putting it in the tank. :( it’s a 0.5-1mm sand, do you think this is too coarse for my corys?

If so...would I be able to make do by replacing half the sand, rather than all of it? What’s your favorite sand for corys?

thanks!!

-concerned Cory lover

If it is at all sharp it isn't good for cories. They feed by taking in mouthfuls of sand, sifting it for food then expelling the sand through their gills. Besides any damage to their mouths and barbels, sharp sand will also damage their gills.

Mixing the sand won't work either as they'll still take up some of the sharp sand. If you mean put a layer of something on top of the sharp sand, they would mix together quite quickly.

The best sand - and the cheapest - is play sand (unless you are in Australia where I understand play sand can also have sharp bits).

Edit to add - I have just googled pink fiji sand, and came up with the one made by Caribsea. Is this what you have? If it is, are you aware they make it for marine tanks rather than freshwater? I don't know if this means that it shouldn't be used in fresh water tanks, but if it is the Caribsea sand I would change it for something else.

Last edited:
Agree, and can confirm. According to CaribSea's website, their marine sands are aragonite, and these will dissolve calcium and magnesium to raise GH, KH and pH. Not good in freshwater unless you were keeping hard water-requiring species like livebearers.

And this sand is too rough, going from the photos on their site.

Aquarium sands are very expensive. Play Sand (except for the Australian issue essjay mentioned) is ideal, inexpensive, natural, and completely safe. I have it in all my tanks now and the cories are thriving.

Agree, and can confirm. According to CaribSea's website, their marine sands are aragonite, and these will dissolve calcium and magnesium to raise GH, KH and pH. Not good in freshwater unless you were keeping hard water-requiring species like livebearers.

And this sand is too rough, going from the photos on their site.

Aquarium sands are very expensive. Play Sand (except for the Australian issue essjay mentioned) is ideal, inexpensive, natural, and completely safe. I have it in all my tanks now and the cories are thriving.

Total agree about the Aussie sand here. A lot of our play sand is full of crushed coral and shells which is too dangerous for bottom dwellers. When I had the turtles it was the same as it could do internal damage. I used riversand and also use in my tanks now, it’s very fine and free of the coarser particles like in our Australian playsand. My cories go crazy in it easy to sift through and soft on their bristles.

Total agree about the Aussie sand here. A lot of our play sand is full of crushed coral and shells which is too dangerous for bottom dwellers. When I had the turtles it was the same as it could do internal damage. I used riversand and also use in my tanks now, it’s very fine and free of the coarser particles like in our Australian playsand. My cories go crazy in it easy to sift through and soft on their bristles.
Where do you buy this river sand at? How do you clean it before changing out your substrate?

Where do you buy this river sand at? How do you clean it before changing out your substrate?

All your landscaping places have them. I think I got about 10kgs for $12 or something. Yes you will have to clean and it’s a very long process but very well worth it in the long run

I don't know where you are, but if in North America, either use designated aquarium river sand or play sand. The sands sold by landscape, gardening, and similar places will be some type of industrial sand and these are not suitable. Play Sand is the only sand of that type that is refined to the degree that it is not rough. Designated aquarium river sands are sold online and in some fish stores, though these are much more expensive. I have play sand in my tanks.

Any sand should be rinsed in small quantites in a bucket, same as gravel. I don't fuss too much over this, as it is just dirt and not an issue, but I do give new sand maybe five rinsings.

Hey guys,

I got a new tank and sand...not realizing how coarse the sand is AFTER putting it in the tank. :( it’s a 0.5-1mm sand, do you think this is too coarse for my corys?

If so...would I be able to make do by replacing half the sand, rather than all of it? What’s your favorite sand for corys?

thanks!!

-concerned Cory lover
Sharp is definitely something I would avoid. This sounds crazy, but my brother in law and 2 other people in my area, including myself, use Black Diamond sandblasting sand. It cost me 6 bucks for a 50lb bag. I rinsed it and cycled my tanks. My sterbai cory have been thriving, along with my shrimp and blue lobsters

Attachments

• 20200118_204052.jpg
    20200118_204052.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200211_130026.jpg
    20200211_130026.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200125_195928.jpg
    20200125_195928.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200211_122758.jpg
    20200211_122758.jpg