Pics - possible layout, thoughts?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

The Big Figfetti

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Thoughts on this layoutā€¦
Iā€™m trying to be like the pros but I just canā€™t seem to get this to come together right. It feels off. Maybe too much going on, or not the right type of rocks to go with the scale of the tank and the driftwood?
Iā€™m not sure.
But I know I want a ā€˜riverā€™ of white sand. The rest will be black sand.
And I donā€™t know exactly the types of plants I want. Or if I should leave the sides empty and only plant in a triangle in the middle and back.
But I know I want anubias, ferns, crypts, ludwigia, and maybe s. Repens, or some other foreground greenery.

Attachments

• 965CF077-5570-484D-8128-F1A44FD0CE08.jpeg
    965CF077-5570-484D-8128-F1A44FD0CE08.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 112
It looks good but not 100% natural to me at the moment, I think if you moved things a little but kept in mind how a flowing river would position them. If you pick a direction you want to show the water moving across the tank you can position the wood and rocks to follow that flow, at the moment you have a lot of things crossing each other or in the sand path the rocks around it look too purposeful.

Your overall concept is sound, although Jaylach is probably right about the sand mixing over time. You might have to line the "river" with plastic, seal the whole thing with silicone, or something of the sort.

There is, to my eye, too much contrast between the large, straight-sided river rocks and the surrounding smooth, black sand. Partially burying a few of those rocks in the black sand might ease the transition and make the whole thing look a bit more natural. Also, be sure to add enough sand to bury the bases of the wood pieces.

Thank you for the great feedback!
I took this pic without the white in the back. I havenā€™t decided if I want black or white back there. But sorry for the bad reflection.

But hereā€™s another arrangement. Maybe my river concept isnā€™t conveying the way Iā€™m picturing it. Iā€™ve seen some really pretty ones! I do want to slant the rocks, and embed them in the sides, so the white sand doesnā€™t escape. Iā€™m ok with maintaining it as needed for the look. Or maybe add in some small pebble or slate in the white, on the edges, to make it look like itā€™s supposed to be freckled for contrast. Weā€™ll see!
I also will elevate the back with sand, so it has a slope to the front. Which I canā€™t show in the picture with paint.

There are so many ways to do this. Iā€™ll keep playing and just take pics and try to find something more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

I appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

• 39F7E01C-D364-4599-9D0A-36ECE7834DBA.jpeg
    39F7E01C-D364-4599-9D0A-36ECE7834DBA.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 58
I took this pic without the white in the back. I havenā€™t decided if I want black or white back there. But sorry for the bad reflection.

But hereā€™s another arrangement. Maybe my river concept isnā€™t conveying the way Iā€™m picturing it. Iā€™ve seen some really pretty ones! I do want to slant the rocks, and embed them in the sides, so the white sand doesnā€™t escape. Iā€™m ok with maintaining it as needed for the look. Or maybe add in some small pebble or slate in the white, on the edges, to make it look like itā€™s supposed to be freckled for contrast. Weā€™ll see!
I also will elevate the back with sand, so it has a slope to the front. Which I canā€™t show in the picture with paint.

There are so many ways to do this. Iā€™ll keep playing and just take pics and try to find something more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Just make sure to NOT put too much weight to OUR opinions. It is your tank and the only opinion that matters is yours as long as the setup is healthy for your fish. You are the one that looks at it every day so your opinion is the only one that matters.

I'm thinking of the fish, and this is much better for them. Though I also find it more relaxing for me to look at.

Just make sure to NOT put too much weight to OUR opinions. It is your tank and the only opinion that matters is yours as long as the setup is healthy for your fish. You are the one that looks at it every day so your opinion is the only one that matters.
Thanks! šŸ˜…
Iā€™m considering mine and my kids opinions as well as yā€™allā€™s. Iā€™m indecisive and a perfectionist and I could rescale it a hundred times and still feel that itā€™s not right lol
I want to at least come up with a few more options while I wait for other supplies to come in and then Iā€™ll settle on something.
In the meantime, I really do appreciate the feedback from everyone!

Tried a few more layouts today. But this one was the only one that the majority of us liked. So far these 3 in the thread are the top contenders.
Iā€™m trying to break up the line of sight and create hiding spaces for the fish.

Attachments

• DC87D0EB-9A00-402B-97D7-E6A80CC6684F.jpeg
    DC87D0EB-9A00-402B-97D7-E6A80CC6684F.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 44
  • D85A00FD-446F-436E-AD82-D75B322512AA.jpeg
    D85A00FD-446F-436E-AD82-D75B322512AA.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 43
No mention of the intended fish species has been made yet, and that is or should be the primary driver here. The hardscape will be a factor in the health of the fish which is why one needs to ensure what the fish need is provided, but nothing that is detrimental to the fish.

I had though as one example that the white "river" was gone, but maybe not, and this is not going to be good for the fish. White substrates are stressful because they are even brighter under the tank light. When I earlier said it was relaxed, it was because the white river was not present. Something to think about.

This was the main probleem with the so-called "natural aquarium" designs of Amano. They were anything but beneficial to the poor fish that had to survive in them.

No mention of the intended fish species has been made yet, and that is or should be the primary driver here. The hardscape will be a factor in the health of the fish which is why one needs to ensure what the fish need is provided, but nothing that is detrimental to the fish.

I had though as one example that the white "river" was gone, but maybe not, and this is not going to be good for the fish. White substrates are stressful because they are even brighter under the tank light. When I earlier said it was relaxed, it was because the white river was not present. Something to think about.

This was the main probleem with the so-called "natural aquarium" designs of Amano. They were anything but beneficial to the poor fish that had to survive in them.
Itā€™s going to be a pea puffer tank. And Iā€™m going for the type of look below, but with contrast from black to white. The sand I got isnā€™t white, itā€™s more tan, but it will look like a contrast between the two. The small pebbles I use will be gray slate like stones and I will sprinkle those all in the tank and in the sand. It wonā€™t just be a stark white River. Plus, as others have said, it will get ā€˜dirtyā€™ and Iā€™m ok with that.
Iā€™ll also have floaters on top and plan to let the roots come all the way down, for even more hiding spots and cover.
I donā€™t plan to have a green planted ground cover, because I donā€™t plan on running CO2, but I do want small foreground plants in the black sand. So itā€™s not just a plain ground substrate.

Attachments

• C1AF22B0-F377-4CE8-AA79-A9F3D9AB0A87.jpeg
    C1AF22B0-F377-4CE8-AA79-A9F3D9AB0A87.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 24C31C24-24B1-4D2D-B4CA-A33F417DC4B8.jpeg
    24C31C24-24B1-4D2D-B4CA-A33F417DC4B8.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 42
  • D0AD1F23-D3BB-4BCF-8442-9270257C08A0.jpeg
    D0AD1F23-D3BB-4BCF-8442-9270257C08A0.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 41
I do plan to add a variety of plants. But itā€™s hard to convey that in a finger painting ā˜ŗļø But I want to plant it heavy, but naturally, with plants acting as fillers and eye line sight barriers.

Tan sand should be fine for the fish, especially if there are plenty of floating plants overhead to diffuse the light. I think you have a rather unique and interesting concept. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back