Phosphate Problem

Fishfan76

Reaction score
Hi
I have an ORCA TL450 Nano Marine tank (55 approx litres) that has been running for 17 months. I have 7kg live rock, coral sand base, 2 Clownfish, 1 Firefish, 2 B&W Hermit crabs and a snail. There is some mushroom coral, Button Polyps, Fire Coral and Hairgrass in the tank also.

I have a major phosphate problem. My Nutrafin test kit shows the levels at close to 5.0 mg/l ! I have lost some shrimps and crabs recently which I now know is due to this problem. All the other readings are ok I think; Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <5, copper 0, temp 27 oC, pH 7.9, Calcium 500+. I have a protein skimmer which is new as my last one died and I was advised not t worry about replacing it. I tried without but am happier with one going so theres a new PS running as of today. I will also being adding a Hydor Koralia Nano pump going in early next week to increase flow at the bottom of the tank.

I was using tap water but as this tests as having moderate to high phos levels I am now using RO water. It has been suggested that I use Rowaphos to remove the phosphate. I havent any experience with this product. Am I right in thinking that it can be placed in a filter bag and placed in my filter? I have a Fluval 2+ Internal Cannister Filter. Could I put the bag between the two foam pads in the filter? How much would I need to buy to treat my 55 litre tank with a high phos level? I also have some carbon in the filter.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
With thanks

:hi: to TFF

Phosphates are usually caused by:

Over feeding
Lack of regular water changes

If it were my tank, i would do a big water change, cut down on feeding and put in a phosphate remover such as rowaphos or phosban. You can hang it in any area with good flow - it is more effective if the granuals can move around but it is still effective when the water just passes through it but without the granuals moving, you would just have to make moving the granuals around in the bag part of your weekly routine.

Hope that helps - we would love to know a bit about you an your tank :good:

Seffie x

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I have done two water changes this week using RO water and will do some more changes this week. I will also get some Rowaphos and see if this helps. Thanks for your advice with this. Hopefully this will help me to get on top of the problem?

I use frozen Artemia to feed my Clownfish and Firefish. Should I rinse this before it goes in tank? I usually put some of it in a small pot with a bit of tank water to defrost it then put in tank.

They have flake in the morning and the artemia in the evening.

I am using a siphon to clean the sand when doing the water changes and hopefully when my nano pump arrives it will add some flow to the bottom and stop the debris building up. Plus my new skimmer is up and running. I am hoping all these will have a positive impact?

I am hoping to get a Cleaner Shrimp again in the future as I think they are great and fun to watch. I would also like some more hermits but I know I need to sort the phos issue first.

You should not use any of the water from frozen foods, that can definitely contribute to a phosphate problem. Defrost, filter water out through a net. For smaller foods, use a brine shrimp net and then briefly rinse with freshwater.

For the frozen food definitely defrost it and rinse it out well before putting it in the tank. I use a plastic teastrainer (bought from a "pound" shop for about 50p). Put the food in it and then run it under the tank until its defrosted (then run it under the tap some more to make sure its rinsed off).

I would do regular water changes (twice a week ideally but at least once a week would be good). Rowaphos will help but you need to keep testing your phosphate levels to check when you need to replace it. I have found rowaphos (and similar GFO phosphate removers) to be good at maintaining low phosphate levels but not so great in reducing very high phosphate levels (because you need to change it regularly and it costs too much). However in a small tank with regular water changes it should work well as you wont need to use so much.

Cheeto will help as well, you can get small submersible grow lights which you could put in the back chamber along with some cheeto.

Just in case you look up 'cheeto' it is spelt Chaeto :p

Seffie x

Cheeto will help as well, you can get small submersible grow lights which you could put in the back chamber along with some cheeto.

LMAO, thanks Seffie :) I did type cheato to begin with but it didnt look right :) I do the same with cyano (I always want to type cyno).

Hi
I have been using RO water and have done 3 water changes using this (total 15 litres approx) in week and half. My new skimmer has been going a week and I have a new Hydor Koralia Nano pump in the tank which is providing some flow at the bottom of the tank to remove the detritus issue.

I have put 2 Hagan Green X phosphate removers into the tank (one in filter and other outside). I still have a big phosphate reading so I think I need to use Rowaphos now as the water changes and the Green-X have made no impact on the readings at all.

Can I ask what is Chaeto?

Got some Rowaphos today. 100ml tub. I have put about half of this into the filter sock provided and placed in the internal filter (it was hard knowing how much to use from the instructions). How long should it take for me to notice an improvement? I'm also doing another water change in next day or so with RO water.

I have got another test kit which is a "Red Sea phosphate test" and the reading from my tank is showing 0.5 p.p.m.

But the Nutrafin test still shows the reading as 5.0 mg/L. What is the difference between p.p.m and mg/L?

Is 0.5 p.p.m better that 5.0 mg/L?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back