Phosphate In Tapwater

lgarvey

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
266
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Manchester, UK
Hi,

I just tested my tap water using the phosphate test kit I have and it registers the highest value at 0.14 mg/l P & 0.43 mg/l PO4 3 (not sure what this last one means).

So, if this is the case, it seems that using rowaphos in the filter is pretty futile?

I have new ocean rock, which has only been in there for about 10 days and it's already bright green with algae. *starts to cry!*

I was going to get a phosphate reactor and put in regular phosphate remover to keep the tank clear of algae, but it seems pointless given the tap water is laden with phosphates. It's a 300 litre malawi tank and I don't think I'm ready to buy an RO unit and start filling up tubs of water once a week. I'm wondering if a regular weekly dose of algicide could sort the tank out?

Any advice as always is appreciated! =)

L
 
Hmmm... If I were to buy a big tub of rowaphos every 4 weeks to sap all the phosphate out of the water, because of it's price, I'd be bankrupt soon! =)

But, looking on t'internet, there appears to be some cheaper 'bulk' options, such as this: http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?...amp;ProdId=1180

Has anyone used some of the less known brands of phosphate remover? Maybe I could have a huge bag of the stuff and replace the phosphate every few weeks, when phosphate starts to register on the tests again?

L
 
Why not cut your tap water with RO. I know you would have to buffer to increase the hardness again, but it would lower the phosphate content.

EDIt - Just read OP more carefully and I see you've already considered RO. Oops!
Out of curiosity, why is using phosphate remover pointless because your tapwater has phosphate? Surely that is the point as it would lower the phosphate. Even if the tap water is loaded with phosphate using a reactor would certainly lower it some
 
Why not cut your tap water with RO. I know you would have to buffer to increase the hardness again, but it would lower the phosphate content.

EDIt - Just read OP more carefully and I see you've already considered RO. Oops!
Out of curiosity, why is using phosphate remover pointless because your tapwater has phosphate? Surely that is the point as it would lower the phosphate. Even if the tap water is loaded with phosphate using a reactor would certainly lower it some

I just don't fancy making, and lugging 75 litres of RO water everytime I want to do a water change. Urgh!

Currently I use a hose pipe that goes directly into the tank to refill and I add the dechlorinator as I'm refilling. It's like using a python, but faster and without the waste water to create suction to draw water from the tank. To do a partial water change I have a gravel cleaner connected to another piece of hose which I put out of the window into the gutter. It's pretty neat and my back doesn't hurt after the water change. But 75Ls of RO water is hardcore!

OK, an option is buying a large amount of algicide, or ... using large amounts of rowaphos.

L
 
You could have the RO going into a plastic barrell/drum, and have a submersible pump in the barrell, attached to a long hose to transfer it from the barrell to the tank.
Just like using a hose pipe then
 
Has anyone used some of the less known brands of phosphate remover?

According to Skifletch in the marine section, all rowaphos and other black phosphate adsorbing media is made of granular ferric oxide (GFO) and it is all made in one plant. As a result, a budget brand should be just as good as RowPhos. I will stress that I have not seen where he came across this info, but it would be unlike ski to get such a statement wrong.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top