Ph tests

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tatya

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've got two pH tests, a broad range one and a high range one. Both are from the same company (Interpet). The broad range one (which is older at ~16 months old) reads a pH of 9.0 - the high range one (which is ~ 1 month old) reads a pH of 7.6.

Short of running over to Chemistry and stealing a proper pH meter - which do you think I should trust? Or would you vote for neither and get another test to check it all out?

I have more faith in the high test result since it is the newer one. But I can't figure why being older would throw the other one off its readings! Although stealing a pH meter has its appeal!

Tatya,

I would be inclined to trust the high range one, as you say, with it being newer.

As for the cause of the difference... I'm baffled there. :what:

I have had a quick look through some books and websites but nothing yet! I will let you know if I come up with anything.

Steal a pH meter ;)
If you get two diffrent results I'd go for a 3rd test. The Ph test kit I use must be years old and still works.
I don't know what there used life span is.

Tatya. Did you do the test a coupole times to make sue you did not have a bad strip? If so, take your strips and a water sample to your lfs, and they will help you sort it out.

I would hate to see you invest any more money into another test kit when one of yours has to be accurate.
8)

They are liquid tests, not strip ones. I tried the broad range one four times and got a pH of 9 each time. This was the first day I tried with the broad range one the high range one I've been using daily (while carrying out the fishless cycle) and got 7.9 the first day and 7.6 each subsequent day (after adding bog and mopani wood to the tank).

I'll drop a line to my father-in-law and see if he has a pH meter I can borrow (he is a biochemist!). Otherwise I've got to pop into UDA tomorrow anyway so I'll take them a water sample. Actually Graham (my fil) will probably have more of an idea what may have happened to the liquid tests!

I'll let you know how it pans out.

Thanks guys
T

Personaly I go for the dry tab's they should have an infinite shelf life although I'm not sure. All products are supposed to have date on them if they stop working or are unfit etc, foodstufs neds and chems. Even my developing chems are date stamped.
Litmus paper reminds me of school. it's not easy finding the stuff here and my cousin(science teach) won't steal me any.

If your stealing a meter Make sure there's a spare on lying about when i wisit. just stick it in the box with the microscope and other stuff. lmao

Patti being a nurse, gets some real good test strips. They check everything. Plus good drug samples, stethescopes, the real cool lightweight scrubs, long white stockings, those stirrups that attach to the..umm..never mind.. :blush:

The portable pH meters are all inaccessible at the moment (there is come building work being done in Chemistry(actually theres some being done here too - must be that summer no undergrads feeling!)).

But Graham has come up with some buffer tablets. On being dissolved in 100 ml of water they have a set pH. So I'm nicking one for a pH of 7 and one for a pH of 9. Then I'll find out which test is potty!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back