pH spike

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Biglog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just tested my water and the pH is showing up bright purple in the api test kit (8.8) It is normally at a steady 7.8 and the only thing Iā€™ve done to the tank is get a new light and added some SeaChem Clarity to take care of some small sand particles floating around. Would the Clarity cause it to spike like that or show false readings?

My nitrate level also dropped to lower than what is in my tap water. Could the new light have the plants actually growing and my CO2 is tanking causing the pH to spike?

My nitrate level also dropped to lower than what is in my tap water. Could the new light have the plants actually growing and my CO2 is tanking causing the pH to spike?
My experience is that ye, increased plant growth can cause the PH to gradually increase during the day. If that is the case the PH should start dropping. Recheck the PH in the morning before the lights turn on.

If the PH does drop overnight but then increases when the lights are on the only t solution to this that I know of iis to reduce the light level. It's easy if your light has a dimmer. Otherwise you could move it further away from the surface of the water. The greater the gap between the light and the water surface the lower the light level in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Back