Ph Question

Tim13

New Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So I Have been using seachem acid buffer to lower ph mainly because of my checkerboard cichlid. The water out of my tap is at 7.8. RO is out of the question as well as peat.

Can I discontinue using this and just leave the ph alone?

Will the checkerboard cichlid be ok? I am not trying to breed at all.

Thanks,
Tim
 
So I Have been using seachem acid buffer to lower ph mainly because of my checkerboard cichlid. The water out of my tap is at 7.8. RO is out of the question as well as peat.

Can I discontinue using this and just leave the ph alone?

Will the checkerboard cichlid be ok? I am not trying to breed at all.

Thanks,
Tim
PH 7.8 is fine...the fish will adapt...fiddling with the PH will do more damage than good
 
So I Have been using seachem acid buffer to lower ph mainly because of my checkerboard cichlid. The water out of my tap is at 7.8. RO is out of the question as well as peat.

Can I discontinue using this and just leave the ph alone?

Will the checkerboard cichlid be ok? I am not trying to breed at all.

Thanks,
Tim
PH 7.8 is fine...the fish will adapt...fiddling with the PH will do more damage than good

I have researched checkerboard cichlids and from what I have read they need a ph of 5-6. 7.8 is far off from this. Can they adapt to something this far from what I have read that they need?
 
Is acide buffer a bad thing to use? As long as I use it in increments like I have and match the ph of water change water shouldn't it be ok? I would like to keep the ph around 7.0
 
It's not that it's a bad thing to use, it's just unecessary and expensive over time. A pH of 7.8 isn't a bad thing. It will be resistant against a pH crash and is more stable.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top