Ph Keeps Dropping.

without_reason

New Member
Joined
May 30, 2009
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello, I recently wrote this topic: old topic - clicky and it seems my pH is dropping again..

this is what I have got since then:
Day 17: (found pH was too low, so have now done a water change. Ph now 7.2 and added ammonia 2ml)
Ammonia: 4ppm, nitrite: 0ppm, nitrate: 80ppm.
Day 18:
Ammonia: 4ppm, nitrite: 0.25ppm
Day 19:
Ammonia: 2ppm, nitrite: 1ppm, pH: 7.0
Day 20:
Ammonia: 0ppm, nitrite: 5ppm. Added 2ml ammonia: 14:30
Day 21:
Ammonia: 0.25ppm, nitrite: 1ppm, pH: 6.6

I was told to write a new topic if it drops again.. Any advice on what to do?

Thankies ^_^
 
You need to do a waterchange to replenish your KH. Towards the end of a cycle the nitraes produced are acidic in nature. Do you happen to know your KH?
 
You need to do a waterchange to replenish your KH. Towards the end of a cycle the nitraes produced are acidic in nature. Do you happen to know your KH?

No I don't know it..
Should I just keep doing water changes frequently to keep the pH up? Would this happen when I have fish, and if so, would it affect them? :(

Thanks
 
Well, that would depend on how many fish you have and the amount of nitrate produced. Alternately, in a fishless cycle you can use common baking soda to raise your KH.

Waterchanges will refresh your KH, and you are safe to do a 90% waterchange to get that KH up. Just don't forget to add ammonia back to the new water.

If this becomes a recurring problem when you get fish, there are steps you can take to prevent your pH from crashing like that.
 
This happened to me when I put Flourish Root Tabs in my soft Vancouver water--- It was a total nightmare! Dead fish, w/cs twice a day... My advice is that you put a teaspoon of baking soda in for every 10g to save the fish (if you have any).

If you're just fishless cycling, I would let the cycle ride itsself out and then keep an eye on the pH as you add fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top