Pets At Home

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, I really, really want to know why people think P@H is a franchise. The entire chain has just been bought by an American company called KKR and I have not sen or heard anything about stores being run and owned by private individuals and smaller companies under the P@H banner. All stores are company owned and company run.

I might be wrong so I'd like to hear what evidence peopl have for it being a franchise. I've been all over the website and can find nothing.

The problem isn't nessecarily the shop, it's the attitude to fishkeeping in general, which is something that is unlikely to change.

Most branches I've been to seem to do a fairly good job with what they're given- as far as I'm aware, like most shops they don't have QT facilities so if fish come in ill, it's tough luck. And being on a centralised filter system doesn't help, but again, that's pretty much tough luck. Fish stocked? Well, I've never seen a shop that doesn't stock common plecs, silver sharks and the like, and I haven't enquired but I bet most of those would probably sell to an undersized tank. I know our local branch occasionally gets some quite decent things in- I've seen microrasboras, american flag fish, dwarf chain loaches- it would be nice to see more 'practical' fish, but as shown by this thread, the people who generally want such fish don't shop there. Joe Public usually wants- and therefore buys- neons, guppies, plecs, danios, angels and such.

toddle off and stop shopping there?
That would be a good idea if you don't like the company, no sales, means no profit.

Well obviously. The point is that people don't want to hear about how bad P@H is and just come into the thread to flame and say "go away, stop moaning, just stop shopping there if you don't like it". The way to make this company change is to damage its reputation, make consumers aware of the problems, get animal welfare organizations involved, etc etc. Not shopping there is just one part of a larger whole. I think it is unlikely that this company will change but that doesn't mean I'm just going to shut up and stop boring people.

Frankly, while animals are suffering and dying I don't really care if some people are "bored" or want me to go snuggle a tree.

Some people have descended into ad hominems and as far as I am concerned, that means they don't have a sensible response to the main issue. Thanks guys, you kinda just helped prove my point about P@H when even people who work there can't defend them.

Go hug a tree. :good:

James.

Hey, you sound just like a typical P@H worker now, someone who really doesn't give a crap about the welfare of the animals and tell "They're fine, move along".

how bout we keep this a little less rude maybe?

imho i think its because people dont really treat fish as legit animals and therefore are lower down on moral issues like cruelty and care. if fish were like dogs and cats and birds and bunnies and horses we wouldnt have this problem, bout the only thing we can do is at least try and change it little by little and hope for a better system in the future

I think its about time this thread was locked its getting boring and causing alot of un-neccessary agro

At the end of the day,whether we agree or disagree to pets@home on whether they're good or bad isn't going to change the fact that peeps will still use them and buy from them aquatics,and possibly not get the right info for keeping aquatics &/or setting up tanks etc.

Unless the actual law changes for the better regarding having trained staff and given correct info at any lfs not just pets@home,unfortunately it will carry on and needless fish will continue to suffer.

So if everyone feels that strongly about saving fish from suffering maybe we should start a petition and get has many names has we can then send if off to the relevant people involved. :unsure:

Good luck guys, you may need it :good:

At least your bothering to make an effort in something you obviously feel quite passionate about and not sitting on the fence like most people here, credit when credit is due.
Maybe you few can make fishkeeping better for ourselves and the fish alike.

James.

im in for that lol, [lus the facti watched avatar (again) makes me want to help more lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back