Pets at Home fish points

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Taking the paw patrol platies back really would upset the 4yr old. They're literally the only things they've ever cared about. I'd have to do it incredibly gently. Maybe when Xmas happens and they're distracted by toys in the post Xmas haze.

I'll start cycling the fry tank to put in the play room (couple of months maybe to make sure it cycles properly) then fun and games.

Taking the paw patrol platies back really would upset the 4yr old. They're literally the only things they've ever cared about. I'd have to do it incredibly gently. Maybe when Xmas happens and they're distracted by toys in the post Xmas haze.

I'll start cycling the fry tank to put in the play room (couple of months maybe to make sure it cycles properly) then fun and games.

You could keep the paw patrol platys, just take the rest back! You would also have to keep taking loads fry back to the shop. You can keep some fry in the seperate tank, then they can grow up and go in your original tank ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's going to have to be the plan. Keep the favourite ones, fry in their own tank (I've got a very large glass jar in the play room with water in it from the aquarium so we can occasionally catch a couple of fry to look at and draw. It's probably terrifying for the fry but i think its important for kids to be interested in animals and they swim about in there for a few hours til they forget the trauma and go back home). I don't mind a semi regular trip to a pet shop with the over stock. They can go from the fry tank to the shop when they're too big for it.

Tomorrow we're taking 2 of the adult platies to the vet (yes really, at £7 per pet no less) because they somehow got in the tiny gap behind the filter and got hurt. And because I'd said vets are for when our pets get injured, that's where we're going. One is fine. Just a bit of a grazed nose, the other...Well, i think tonight will be iron man's last night if I'm honest. So i have a sad 4yr old but it's a thing they have to learn..I'm just glad it wasn't Skye! Of course I'm also glad iron man doesn't seem to be suffering, he/she is just sitting sideways breathing normally. I just hope the vet has a kid friendly way to put a fish to sleep or i might lose faith in them.

But yes. Thanks for the advice.

I think that's going to have to be the plan. Keep the favourite ones, fry in their own tank (I've got a very large glass jar in the play room with water in it from the aquarium so we can occasionally catch a couple of fry to look at and draw. It's probably terrifying for the fry but i think its important for kids to be interested in animals and they swim about in there for a few hours til they forget the trauma and go back home). I don't mind a semi regular trip to a pet shop with the over stock. They can go from the fry tank to the shop when they're too big for it.

Tomorrow we're taking 2 of the adult platies to the vet (yes really, at £7 per pet no less) because they somehow got in the tiny gap behind the filter and got hurt. And because I'd said vets are for when our pets get injured, that's where we're going. One is fine. Just a bit of a grazed nose, the other...Well, i think tonight will be iron man's last night if I'm honest. So i have a sad 4yr old but it's a thing they have to learn..I'm just glad it wasn't Skye! Of course I'm also glad iron man doesn't seem to be suffering, he/she is just sitting sideways breathing normally. I just hope the vet has a kid friendly way to put a fish to sleep or i might lose faith in them.

But yes. Thanks for the advice.

Iron man may be resting, I wouldn't worry to much! If he does pass away just simply replace him with another Iron . Wish the platys the best of luck at the vets. My gourami got stuck in a castle and made me drive to the vets for him at 3:00 am, it was pretty funny though, he tried to catch one of the corydoras but it failed, my corys are only 1-3cm big so they fit into tiny holes, but gouramis don't [emoji23][emoji23] The vet finally got him out but his face was so bruised and cut [emoji27][emoji27] He had a face that was shaped like a square for over 6 months!!!!!! Wish your platys the best of luck and tell your 4 year old not to worry. Iron man is just resting [emoji4][emoji4]

Iron man was trapped for at least a day or 2, i thought it was just hiding/dead in the volcano after i refreshed some of the water. I don't even know how she got into the gap, but she was trapped upside down with her tail stuck right in the filter...I hope she's ok. They're tough little fish, but i don't want her to suffer so I'd rather she went in peace than a long drawn out miserable life.
I've prepared the toddler for the worst. I actually thought she was dead so i had her out the tank and on a bit of kitchen roll for a while so i could explain. Then she wiggled a fin! So plopped her in the water and she swam about a little then sank again. Her tail is destroyed and she has a few lost scales where she's tried to get free but if the vet thinks she will be ok then we'll have a tail-less fish.

Focussing on a fry tank this weekend. It might help as a distraction - lol. I have a horrible feeling the tank will get decorated with my coloured Sharpies and filled with neon tat. They can stay in there until it cycles i guess...The neon will scare the fry...

Iron man was trapped for at least a day or 2, i thought it was just hiding/dead in the volcano after i refreshed some of the water. I don't even know how she got into the gap, but she was trapped upside down with her tail stuck right in the filter...I hope she's ok. They're tough little fish, but i don't want her to suffer so I'd rather she went in peace than a long drawn out miserable life.
I've prepared the toddler for the worst. I actually thought she was dead so i had her out the tank and on a bit of kitchen roll for a while so i could explain. Then she wiggled a fin! So plopped her in the water and she swam about a little then sank again. Her tail is destroyed and she has a few lost scales where she's tried to get free but if the vet thinks she will be ok then we'll have a tail-less fish.

Focussing on a fry tank this weekend. It might help as a distraction - lol. I have a horrible feeling the tank will get decorated with my coloured Sharpies and filled with neon tat. They can stay in there until it cycles i guess...The neon will scare the fry...

Aww poor fish :( yes the fry would be a good distraction, it seems you have everything under control [emoji4][emoji4] if you ever have a problem or need help I'm here [emoji6][emoji6]

I agree, Essjay has nailed it! Defo take the plecs back and the danios!

Karen, I set up a ten gallon tank for my future wife in her college dorm room back in 1976. I used a book (pamphlet that had the picture you use as your avatar) I do not remember the name and can not locate it (makes me mad).It used a system where each tank had a point value as did each fish. Unlike pets at home system it was based upon oxygen needs of the various fish. With this system we had at least double the 1" per gallon rule. The tank was well planted and we had to remove plants periodically to give the fish more room. It was an odd mix. corys 2, platies 4, angel fish 4, neons about 6, pearl gourami 2, and two bettas a male and female, and others which I am not sure of.. This would be considered over crowded by all normal standards but it wasn't.The fish did extremely well with the angel fish getting to half dollar body size. The platies continually had babies and the bettas actually spawned in the tank. The platies grew to full size as did the neons and other fish. I believe that stunting is due to the fish knowing they are in a limited amount of water. With all the plants we had in the tank, a fish at one end could not see the other end. I believe that they thought they were in a much larger body of water and grew accordingly. I was wondering if you or anyone else on this forum know the name and publisher of that book so I can try and get a copy. I want to stock my 75 gal tank and would like to use the same system.

Hi Mountie and welcome to the forum :)

This thread is an old one and might not be seen by the original poster. If you have questions about particular subjects, or you want to start a discussion, you can start a new thread for the subject :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back