Pets at Home fish points

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Thanks for the word of warning about females. Sadly I've got 5 specific ones i have to keep, they're named after paw patrol characters and have quite distinctive markings. And there's one called iron man too whos absence will be noticed. I think I'll just have to keep taking fry down to the pet shop to keep numbers low. I just don't know how many i can realistically keep if I'm going to be removing fry when they're big enough to leave.

Thanks for the word of warning about females. Sadly I've got 5 specific ones i have to keep, they're named after paw patrol characters and have quite distinctive markings. And there's one called iron man too whos absence will be noticed. I think I'll just have to keep taking fry down to the pet shop to keep numbers low. I just don't know how many i can realistically keep if I'm going to be removing fry when they're big enough to leave.

No, take back all female platys. It's not even funny, your tank is to small! Some male platys are good but seriously take back the females!

The fry will keep coming your tank will be infested, even if you took them back to the shop they would keep coming, they fry are also good hiders so you would take the ones you see but really there are thousands beyond thousands hiding!

Also your tank is too small for millions of fry! Its also not worth the money because you have to buy lots of things for the fry!! Like I said take them back, it's just cruel to the fry [emoji24][emoji27] I am a fry lover but things get messy!

Just as a note; TAKE THEM BACK!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not saying it's funny. I don't know where you got that idea from.
I know it sounds like I'm being cruel and I'm obviously missing some, but i do i full clean out every couple of months to clean the filter a bit so i know there none hiding - there's not thousands.
I plan to remove a lot as and when they're big enough to leave to it will never get too far out of hand.

All the fry are happy and thriving in the same living conditions as the adults. Survival of the fittest and all that.

I was simply asking how many is too many in the tank so i can keep everything healthy.

4-6 male platys
Shrimps
Mollys and guppys (all male)
Some snails!!
That would be a nice tank!!
That isn't many fish. Also it's not survival of the fittest! Please take all females back, I know this must sound very cruel and hard for you to understand but you need to trust me and take the females back. Please listen to me. Trust me the fry will take over your tank, take them back[emoji846][emoji106]

Trust me when i say if Marshall goes missing there'll be riots.

It'll have to be the fry and males that go gradually.

I am listening. I understand i have a fry problem.
I'm also aware I'm not going to wake up one morning to 200 fry.

Over the past 6 months I've had a total of 20 fry.

So I'm going to take the fry away as and when they happen and keep the females. My kids would be heartbroken. So a trip every 4 months to remove fry isn't too much hassle.

i don't mean to be rude or anything but you are making a very big mistake. the chances are that most of the fry will die shortly after reaching the pet-shop as it is incredibly stressful as well as the fact that they will most likely become food for other fish. i am truly sorry about your situation but you are being cruel and inhumane. you need to take the females back. it is going to become a massive problem. believe me i know i have made the mistakes you are making and it is never pretty and always ends in heartbreak and tears. the easiest way to solve your problems is to listen when we give you advise. if you are going to take it or not is your choice. but please remember why you joined the forum.(to get advise if i'm not mistaken)

It's not that I'm not listening. I'm trying to deal with the situation I've gotten into.

I'm not ignoring anything, just trying to keep the peace at home.
Would it work, temporarily at least until maybe fry are of a size where they won't get eaten if i had them in a seperate (filtered and cycled) tank until they're about 3 or 4 months old THEN take them back? My kids would enjoy watching them grow up.

I've got a spare 60l tank in the shed i can dig out. It's my reserve quarantine tank. And i can use some of my current filter media.

there will only be tears for a while. which can be fixed by the addition of some snails or something. but seriously take them back.

It's not that I'm not listening. I'm trying to deal with the situation I've gotten into.

I'm not ignoring anything, just trying to keep the peace at home.
Would it work, temporarily at least until maybe fry are of a size where they won't get eaten if i had them in a seperate (filtered and cycled) tank until they're about 3 or 4 months old THEN take them back? My kids would enjoy watching them grow up.

I've got a spare 60l tank in the shed i can dig out. It's my reserve quarantine tank. And i can use some of my current filter media.

That would work, now we're getting somewhere. Yes when the fry are born put them in that tank, but when they have had birth immediately take the women back, also you can't have 23 platys in your tank! Think about which ones you will take back, Aww that is so cute, your children will love the fry there adorable!! Here is fish giving birth:
3651ab8c3aac85ec962a416e94c455a6.jpg

Some died but most lived! I have at least 60 fry hiding in my floating plants [emoji4][emoji23]
Good luck on the fry [emoji4][emoji4]

That's my child's tank I meant [emoji23][emoji23]

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back