Petco is Appauling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They aren't the only ones who sell them. Most shops carry them. If you want to blame someone, blame the breeders in Asia who are so into inbreeding and causing pain to fish, they will stop at nothing to make a dollar. Then blame the importers and shops who buy them in.

You can also blame the governments around the world for allowing deformed fishes like that, to be sold in their countries. It wouldn't take much for governments all around the world to say "ENOUGH".

Maybe write to you state and federal governments and ask them to put a blanket ban on deformed fishes and see if you can get it to stop.

There’s a huge amount of ‘short body’ fish out there. Polar blue ‘parrots’ are the main one that come to mind. Just a short bodied convict with a fancy name. Which is what i believe is the same deformation that gourami has.

Blame the farms in Asia and the consumer market.

Fun fact, there are long fin balloon tiger barbs. It's honestly so terrible that it's hilarious.

So... this is an unnatural/forced change? Deformed? Or a genetic defect being exploited because some people like the look?

So... this is an unnatural/forced change? Deformed? Or a genetic defect being exploited because some people like the look?
Initially I thought it was just a genetic defect that was being exploited through inbreeding. However, it is becoming way too common and is appearing in all sorts of aquarium fish. This makes me think the breeders have found a genetic switch to cause this mutation. So basically man playing god and genetically modifying the fish to have a shorter body.

Either way it needs to stop because it is bad for the fish and the people doing this should be removed. I can't say the words I want to so just leave it at removed.

just why bruh
just buy normal ones
less issues
bigger size
better color
cheaper

Ayo, why do they not have normal pearls just these wierd ones

They look like someone took a stretched out slinky and crammed it together... Funny but true

Well, it looks ugly to me, personally speaking. Hope it doesn't suffer because of it, but if other pets are any indication, they probably have issues that stem from the unnatural look being forced and perpetuated. At any rate, there's 2 sides to everything. Pet stores sell what people want. I put equal blame here on the sellers as well as the buyers.

Just a few examples of sad man-made morphs 6E32C72E-C048-4965-8687-1538725E8F0C.jpegC405B23E-A3A4-4A61-BBFF-D54FFC298C5C.jpegE1C166D9-19FA-4D7E-8A00-13B777830DD6.jpeg

Pet stores sell what people want. I put equal blame here on the sellers as well as the buyers.
The inexperienced customers or people that want something cute but weird will buy them. Most other people won't touch them. And if the shops didn't carry them, the customers wouldn't know about them or have any interest in them.

If I had a pet shop, I would not carry balloon fishes, and I would discourage customers from trying to get and keep them due to the health issues the fish suffer from.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back