Pest Snails, Or No?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

*shudders* I remember taking the population in there thousands out my old tank. i could fill half a bucket with snails every week. seriously.

Hopefully we've changed his mind? I fear he left it a little late though, soon he will be one of us cursing the devil snails!

the most effective way to get rid of them is to stip the tank down and put the fish in a bucket. The cucumber thing is barely effective. Can you get a treatment to dip new plants in to kill the snail eggs?

Do they look like this? (the disc-shaped snail and not the malaysian):

PICT0040.jpg

If so then I wouldn't worry about them. I was really disappointed when they multiplied like crazy in my tank. But I squished a few and fed them to my fish and they throughly enjoyed them. And now that my red ramshorns are multiplying like crazy I hardly see them anymore. Plus I never noticed any damage to my plants while they were in abundance. :good:

So to answer your question, Pest Snails, Or No? I'd say No. They were a delicious treat for my fishes and free food.

Just one thing, if you find a snail in your tank, dont squash it in the tank. Lift it out of the tank and destroy it, snails can carry eggs and when you squash them, eggs get left behind.

Well they are round like the one you show in the back of that pic but they're not really red or any color or have spots like that....though they do have spots....they're just kinda clear for the most part.

In removing some of them, I see why they're pretty clear....their shells are VERY thin and they squash VERY easily. I squashed a few in taking them out, without meaning to. Pretty sick. :sick:

Yes I did change my mind after thinking about these particular snails and how they had just exploded in population like they did. So I've taken out all I can see. Whether more will be back or not remains to be seen, but I will remove any as soon as I see em. :good:

If I had fish to eat them I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem but since I'm probably putting something along the lines of neon tetras or some of that sort in here I don't think they'd be very interested.

I have a tank full of snails and a few fish!

Get rid of the buggers before they take over. My wife is even using my drastic suggestion of taking the tank apart, bagging the fish and clearing out all the snails as an excuse to move the tank! And i don't really want to do that.

If you remove them when you see them you should be alright. Be sure to check your filter for snail eggs when you clean it out. You'll be surprised where they can get to.

Hey not to burst your bubble but sometimes that doesnt work either, I have know people who had snails, took the tank down for a year and when they reestablished it they had snails again. Snails suck! well lets rephrase that, those pesky snails suck.

maybe the eggs can survive in the substrate? i had a 20 gallon tall my dad gave me and as long as i could remember i always had snails in there. at first there was 1 or 2, then 20, then 100, then hundreds! they would line the water line and just cover everything else. i was much younger then and wasnt as interested in fish, just had the tank. i dont think they ever went away until i took the tank down. which leaked at its next setup, so its not been back up since.

DESTROY ALL SNAILS! (well the pest ones)

My girlfriend had them in her sanil tank, she has apple snails, trumpets, ramshorns and common ones(she calls them tadple snails).We could never work out what they actually were.

ohhh....you're talking about the little doo-dads stuck to the glass. I'm such a putz! :lol:

Well....I suppose when they're smaller they look like that....but mine have some darkness to em....the snails themselves aren't that clear.

~T~, I would love to see your gf's tank! :D

I find it a little interesting that she calls them tadpole snails....why does she call them that? That main reason I ask is that the other day before I removed all the snails I witnessed something very small swimming around in the water....something like a very small tadpole. I thought maybe it was some type of parasite that had come in on the plants, maybe looking for a fish.....but then since I haven't had fish in there yet and the plants have been in there for some time I thought.....no...its probably a baby snail?

If it was I see now why they would be called "tadpole" snails.....good name. :D

Well I haven't been really frantic about it but I have been picking out the snails a few times lately.

I got tired of it the other day though, and I had to cut back all my plants as they are growing like weeds, so I took them all out, washed them really well, put them in a bucket full of water, cut what I needed, and got any snails that might be left off of them. Most fell off when I washed them under the cold chlorinated water. Don't know if the chlorine or abrupt temp change made any difference but it must have killed anything on there because I have taken care of every single larger snail there is in the tank.

All that's left now is those limpet things on the glass. So today I started just squashing them with the handle of my algae brush and it was 99.9% effective. Then I noticed not 1, not 2, but 3 different egg clusters hanging on plants. :crazy:

Soo....I got to thinking.....if I'm gonna have ghost shrimp in here....why not go ahead and get some since I've added nothing else to the tank yet. Maybe they will eat the egg clusters?

I did some research and it turns out that they do like the snail eggs and some will even eat the limpets when they're small.

So wish me luck.....5 ghost shrimp are hanging in the bag right now acclimating! :good:

Oh yea one more thing. I added my old AC500 (now its called Aqua Clear 110) to the back of my 10 gallon. All I had to do was cut the intake tube (the H tube, not the straight one) a little so it doesn't suck up any sand. It worked GREAT! Its even running full blast and just runs enough current throughout the tank to keep the sand and everything clean!

So...I put the three mystery snails back in that I had taken out. So I got all the mystery snails cruisin around but no more snail poop on the sand! :good:

If anyone is contemplating good filtration for their 10 gallon I highly recommend the AC110.

Most reactions

Back