Pest snail Problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GFAJ

Reaction score
Hey all
So the whole issue first started about 5 months ago and I have currently removed well over 2 dozens of snails. I added some new plants in the tank and they obviously still had some snail eggs on them. One hatched and I let it grow. Turns out it was a ramshorn. A bit later( maybe 2 weeks) another one hatched I let that one grow but it turned out to be a bladder snail. I let it be until I saw some eggs when I freaked out and removed it. They hatched and found their way to the filter where they had a good colony going for the last 4 months. I spotted it and removed it 2 weeks ago. Today after passing2 weeks snail free I spotted 2 more. I removed one but the other one I lost.
Mg question is where are they coming from? Could it be the ramshorn? Or am I missing something?

Most snails can actually be very beneficial to an aquarium, especially BRH snails.

Will you please upload a picture to be sure on the ID of the snail?

I have had issues with pest snails too. Try and reduce the food you feed your fish that will help keep their numbers down. As @PheonixKingZ pointed out they do some beneficial things for your aquarium but they can get out of hand.

Some fish love to eat snails - I used to have HUNDREDS in one particular tank and each time we did a water change we cleaned hundreds snails out and disposed of them. I hate them with a passion but allow a certain number to do things like eat algae. In addition I added 2 Dojo loaches and 2 YoYo loaches and our snail population is under control Well today I found them useful for something else - they were all in a ring around the edge of the tank trying to get out - I immediately checked the water heater and thermometer and it said 80 (this thing is very inaccurate I had to set it at 80 to keep it at 75 a few weeks ago) but when I touched the water it felt as if it was in the 90's!!!!! Still set to the same 80 degrees - so I opened the top of the tank to let it cool off and turned the temperature down to 75. I am aiming for 78 but it's hit and miss. So the snails alerted me that something was terribly wrong. Unfortunately so did one of the loaches, it was dead - they handle a huge range of temperature, especially cold water but don't tolerate anything over 80. Also - I agree with Retired Viking - too much food=too many snails. I'm terrible (but getting better) about overfeeding and these Dojo loaches can consume a HUGE amount of food and snails.

Some fish love to eat snails - I used to have HUNDREDS in one particular tank and each time we did a water change we cleaned hundreds snails out and disposed of them. I hate them with a passion but allow a certain number to do things like eat algae. In addition I added 2 Dojo loaches and 2 YoYo loaches and our snail population is under control Well today I found them useful for something else - they were all in a ring around the edge of the tank trying to get out - I immediately checked the water heater and thermometer and it said 80 (this thing is very inaccurate I had to set it at 80 to keep it at 75 a few weeks ago) but when I touched the water it felt as if it was in the 90's!!!!! Still set to the same 80 degrees - so I opened the top of the tank to let it cool off and turned the temperature down to 75. I am aiming for 78 but it's hit and miss. So the snails alerted me that something was terribly wrong. Unfortunately so did one of the loaches, it was dead - they handle a huge range of temperature, especially cold water but don't tolerate anything over 80. Also - I agree with Retired Viking - too much food=too many snails. I'm terrible (but getting better) about overfeeding and these Dojo loaches can consume a HUGE amount of food and snails.
Something I have learned, is that you should never add a fish to “fix” a problem you could fix yourself.

You can reduce your snail population easily, a few different ways.

1( Reduce feeding: this is a big one, and probably the easiest fix. If your snails don’t have that much to eat, they won’t breed as crazy.

2( Pick out the ones you do see on a day to day basis: make sure when you do pick the out, you don’t flush them down the toilet, as they could still live and end up taking over a stream or lake.

But you should never get a fish to do that. Take plecos for example. Some people think “oh, my tank has a lot of algae, better get a pleco to clean it up!”. And then the pleco ends up making more of a mess of the tank and, I most cases, out grows the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back