Pesky case of fin rot - advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I don't consider this an emergency, but it is certainly a persistent problem I have had with one of my betta's and I'm looking for some advice on treatment. Parameters are currently unknown save that the pH is 8-8.2 and that temperature is steady between 77-80F.

My one Betta, Copper, used to live in the 2 gal was suffering from a pesky case of fin rot - he wasn't getting worse, but his fins just weren't growing back. I assumed this was because it was a rather small tank and the heater I had managed to keep it at about 73 degrees (It's one of those cheap ones which you couldn't set the temperature on.)

I recently came into a 20 gal long tank and decided to put all my betta's together (With opaque dividers so the betta's can only see each other sometimes). So Copper went from 2 gal to about 6 gal, with all new substrate and decorations (and a better heater). Each of the three sections of the tank has it's own filter, one filter (a Marina Slim S10) is cycled, the other two (An air powered filter and a top fin multistage internal filter) are not cycled.

This 20 gal has been set up since last Friday (Feb 10), so it has been just over a week and all appeared fine, Copper's fin rot did not seem aggravated by the change in scenery. I did my first water change on the tank this Friday (Feb 17), I changed about 30% of the water and added the recommended doses of Seachem plant food and Nutrafin waste control (Not necessary with such a new tank but I thought I would keep in the habit of it.) I live on a well, my water is not chlorinated (But I dechlorinate anyways). On Saturday morning I went to feed them and Copper's fin rot was much worse. I wasn't expecting this; if his fin rot was to get worse I would have expected it to be last Friday when I initially moved him, not a week later after the first change - it wasn't even a particularly large one.

As a treatment for his fin rot (I'm treating the whole 20 gal to ensure that my other two betta's don't get sick, as they have already been exposed to it) I have added 5 tbsp of aquarium salt (= 15 tbsp) (I found conflicting information about how much salt to add and this amount was somewhere in the middle as far as dosing.) I also added 5 tsp of Bettafix; I've read that it interferes with their gill function, but I have also read that it is a decent antiseptic so I don't really know what to believe about it.

I am hoping for advice on how I can get this fin rot under control, also opinions on my current method of treatment. I very much believe in following prescription/directions to a T, however with conflicting information I don't want to kill my fish due to an overdose.

It didn't seem much worse this morning, but then again it has been a fairly chronic case which I attributed to stress (between small tank size and low water temperature.) I was expecting his fin rot to get better and this set back is really discouraging and I don't want him to contract something worse.

Hi can you please post a close up photo of the fish? We need to see his fins, often what people think is fin rot turns out to be fin biting.

Nutrafin waste control
Nutrafin Waste Control - Biological Aquarium Cleaner helps decrease aquarium maintenance by reducing waste in gravel, power filters, decorative features and on interior aquarium surfaces
This stuff is a waste of money, you just cant beat regular water changes and tank maintenance.

My one Betta, Copper, used to live in the 2 gal was suffering from a pesky case of fin rot
How often were you changing water?

We really need your water parameters.
Ammonia nitrite and nitrate.

Sorry for potato quality, but the pictures give a general idea of what I'm dealing with. (Yes I know he is purple but his name is Copper, he has a really nice copper sheen in the right light)
20170220_090745_zps3ugwnus4.jpg

20170220_090807_zpsbsioqb6l.jpg

This second picture is pretty dark but it is a decent outline and shows that all of his fins are not in the best repair. Not visible in this picture is some red streaking at the edges of said fins, especially along his bottom side. However he is active and eats well. I'm thinking I will change his filter to an air powered one though as I think the internal filter I'm using in his compartment creates a bit too much of a current for him.

In his 2 gal the water was being changed once every 5ish days, approximately 60-70% at a time.

Current parameters (as of this morning) using an API test kit.
Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm (The colours are so similar I can't tell, I'm inclined to believe its 0)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0-5 ppm, much closer to 0, but not exactly 0.
pH: 8.2
Temp: Around 77F depending on which thermometer I look at (I have two in the tank to ensure that both ends of the tank maintain temperature as water flow is rather restricted through the dividers.)

I am sort of concerned about my treatment methods, particularly the use of Betta fix, as I stated earlier I have read that it may interact negatively with gill function; having lost a Betta to improper use of a medication before I am very wary of how I treat them now. Also I am aware that some people use salt as a cure all, and it doesn't necessarily work that way.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back