Perplexing cloudiness problem

qquake2k

Reaction score
This is my 46 gallon bowfront. It was set up for about 5 years, up until a couple of months ago, when I replaced it with a 65. I was going to give the bowfront to a friend, but she decided it was too big. So I decided to set it up again in a different location. I used Stability and Prime for a couple of weeks, then added 20 rosy red minnows. Soon after I added the minnows, it started getting cloudy. I tried Acurel F, which would clear it up within an hour, but it would get cloudy again in a few hours. I'm running a Tidal 110 HOB, and a Fluval 306 canister. Last night I put two layers of Poly-Fil batting in the Tidal, and it got very clear within an hour. I thought I had it fixed. But this morning, it was cloudy again. I'm perplexed. My 26 and 65 aquariums are crystal clear. The 26 has been set up for a few weeks, and the 65 has been set up for a few months. I'm only having problems with the 46.

I tested the water with test strips, photos are below. I know some think the strips aren't as accurate, but my master test kit expired in April, I need to replace it. I will be adding Poly-Fil to the canister filter today, to see if that helps. Any other ideas? I'm open to any and all suggestions. The first two photos below show it cloudy last night. The second two show it clear after the Poly-Fil. The third two show it cloudy again this morning. As for media, I have the included foam and rings in the Fluval, plus I added Matrix. In the Tidal, I have the included foam and rings. No carbon in either.

Attachments

• cloudy01.jpg
    cloudy01.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 93
  • cloudy02.jpg
    cloudy02.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 109
  • after polyfil01.jpg
    after polyfil01.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 103
  • after polyfil02.jpg
    after polyfil02.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 97
  • cloudy_again01.jpg
    cloudy_again01.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 117
  • cloudy_again02.jpg
    cloudy_again02.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 80
  • test ammonia_0330_101919.jpg
    test ammonia_0330_101919.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 78
  • test multi_0330_101919.jpg
    test multi_0330_101919.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 68
  • 26_101919_01.jpg
    26_101919_01.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 65_101919_01.jpg
    65_101919_01.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 70
You're going to call me crazy but try reducing the number of fish by half and do a large (75%) water change and see if the cloudiness comes back. Given this is minnows, this solution is kind of laughable.

I had a similar problem for months - it was driving me crazy. And this was only on a 29 gallon tank. I was testing and testing. I had more fish in my other tanks but they were always entirely clear but not this one. I'd do multiple water changes in a row and it would clear up for a few days. Then I removed about 4 fish due to fighting (I had some peaceful fish mixed up with some semi-aggressive ones). These fish were far bigger than your minnows. But from the day I removed the 4 fish until yesterday (about 2 weeks) I've had a perfectly clear tank, then it started getting cloudy again but to go 2 weeks was a total miracle. For some reason those few fish were pushing it into overload in what I assume must have been nitrates (I wasn't testing nitrates, I was only bothering to test ammonia and nitrites. The size of my fish ranged in the 3" to 8" size and they were pooping a lot. I wouldn't say I was over feeding them because there was never a particle left but it sure seemed like they ate a lot.

Now I can't believe 22 minnows are going to put this tank over the edge but at least try a water change rather than adding substances and chemicals and see what happens. Could there have been some remaining debris (even on the walls of your tank?) before you set up the tank for the minnows? Perhaps starting all over and re-rinsing it would get rid of the extra debris causing the cloudiness. If you didn't remove and rinse and re-rinse the substrate I would say to definitely do this. You don't say what was previously in the tank or how long it's been sitting around. Substrate seems to easily gather dust.

Based on what you listed I didn't read what you did to prepare the tank and the media as well as if you had tried a water change or if the tank was cycled or you were cycling it with minnows. . In my case multiple water changes worked great for about 3 days (better than anything else) but it wasn't until I removed the number of fish and did a water change that the problem was solved. I have the same size tank that contains 24 fish but none are over 3-4 inches right now so I haven't had the same problem.with that tank and it was nearly fully cycled. In my tank that was carefully cycled with ammonia I've had no problems with cloudiness at all. If you have some place else to put the minnows try cycling the tank using regular household ammonia and no fish = it may take 4-6 weeks but you'll have a solid tank for sure.

Also read and follow these instructions to cycle or recycle your tank:https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

I'm having trouble matching some of those colours on the test strip with the chart. Nitrate especially worries me, as it would seem to be too high. Do you know if you have nitrate in the source (tap) water? And what is nitrate normally from previous tests?

The nitrate may be the key here. Blooms like the one describe generally are bacterial, diatom or organic. I had this in my 90g tank for over three years, but in none of my other 7 tanks, and I still have no idea what caused it. I worked closely with Neale Monks and we pinned down what it was but not why. Neale said this is not uncommon, and it can be seasonal or affected by organics in the source water.

You mention clarifiers, and I know how tempting it is to try these, I did and learned my mistake. Most of them work by binding microscopic particulate matter into larger particles that can then be more easily removed by fine filter media. Unfortunately the chemicals also bind the fishes' gills and cause stress at the very least while weakening the fish's system. Resist the temptation. Water changes may help, and there is certainly no detriment to significant partial water changes provided the parameters (GH, pH and temperature) are reasonably close between tank and tap water.

I ordered a new API Master Test Kit, I'll pick it up later today. Here is a photo of the 46 when it was set up before. Clear water. I put the sand from the 46 into the new 65, and the dragon. The 46 has new sand and decorations in it, but old plants from before. I suppose I could take a few of the minnows out and put them in one of the other tanks. But I'm going to put Poly-Fil in the Fluval canister first, and see what happens.

Attachments

• 46_before_02.jpg
    46_before_02.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 68
I took the 306 apart and put some Poly-Fil in all three trays. I'll see how it looks in the morning.

Attachments

• poly01.jpg
    poly01.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 76
  • poly03.jpg
    poly03.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 78
  • poly04.jpg
    poly04.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 76
  • poly05.jpg
    poly05.jpg