Pentazona Barb (Five Banded Barb)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ian

plant your tank
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Here's a quick vid of some pentazona barbs in my current set up. A much better choice that their relations the tiger barb.

Best viewed in 720p

It is a very desirable species, unfortunately not seen that often these days.

I considered these barbs recently, but couldn't find any I was happy with. Ended up with a group of congos instead.

I have about 20 of them in my 125 gallon, very nice peaceful fish.  Whats that carpet plant you have?  Mine aren't in a planted aquarium atm yours seem to be acting so much more natural

I was really tempted by these guys but warned they could be very timi if not kept in a heavily planted tank or if if kept with anything fast moving.

I have them in a tank with yoyo loaches, clown loaches, rainbowfish, some platties and neon/black neons and they are fine.  The tank is more rocks for the loaches since I'm slowly converting it to a loach tank but they are timid at all.  Even for a barb they aren't nippy at all I started with 6 and 2 of them died but when I saw they were on sale for $1 each I picked up 16 more.  I wanted Tiger Barbs but these guys are just as good maybe even better

These little guys are probably my favourite tropical species!

I've never found them to be particularly shy even with some pretty aggressive fish in the tank! They take a while to adjust to new tanks so may appear nervous at first and will often hide when the lights come on but the rest of the time they are quite friendly.

In my experience they are hardy and shoal well in groups of 5 or more.

I'm looking to breed mine now but as they are the first non-livebearers I've bred I know I'm in for a challenge! If anyone knows the secrets please let me know!!!

Aren't there 6 banded barbs and 5 banded barbs? What's the difference?

Nice video by the way!

>>> What's the difference

A band.

Pentazona has five, hexazona has six, partipentazona has four and a half, the half is directly below the dorsal fin. There are other species in this assemblage.

At my lfs they have a "clown barb" and it looks just like this, are they the same? would they get along with the tiger barbs that i have?

Single barbs don't do well, no matter who they are with.

Clown barbs have similar coloration, but different patterns than the pentazona - they are different.  And I wouldn't put a single shoaling fish with a group of tigers.

Clown barbs, (everetti), are a reasonably peaceful fish in suitable company, in a good sized tank. They grow substantially larger than pentazona or tetrazona and are less deep bodied, more torpedo shaped. They are notorious plant destroyers.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back