Peat For Killifish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MojoDex

Fish Addict
Reaction score
whats the best peat to use for killifish? is pond peat all right to use or not? if not could someone post me a link where i could buy some on line :good:

im looking to start setting up a killifish tank this weekend but want the peat bottom so obviously need the peat first :lol:

You might get more luck in the new Killifish section, which is on this oddball section.

didnt know there was one sorry off over there now

ok no1s replied in the killifsh forum can someone please give me an idea im going to get the stuff this afternoon :(

whats the best peat to use for killifish? is pond peat all right to use or not?
aquarium peat has been irradiated to kill any pathogens that may or maynot be present in peat.
it is 100% safe for aquatic use.
garden peat is not recomended as it is a 'raw' product and may contain these pathogens.

pond peat is the same thing as aquarium peat and is by far better value for money

so the answer is, pond peat is the best to use.
I personally like Sera biotorfgranulat as a 2kg bag (approx £10) is sufficient for 5000 ltr :good:

thanks wolf i appreciate it mate top bloke :good:

You can use Irish Peat Moss if available. Place a few handfuls in a bucket of water outside and let it sink. Run off the tannic water periodically (I use this as a water treatment for certain non annual killifish) and replace with fresh water. You will be able to use the peat in the aquarium after a few weeks of using this method. If you are concerned about pathogens then Microwave a squeesed ball of peat you intend to use. Lastly do not use Spaghnum Moss Peat.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back