Pearling Java Fern

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
Here's a nice pic of my pearling java fern. I've just got back from Arizona after nearly 4 weeks away and I was over the moon to see that my beloved wife has maintained my tank to perfection :D

Attachments

• javafern.JPG
    javafern.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 186
woaw :D good for u, my plants started to pearl a couple of weeeks ago. but a accident forced me to switch bulbs :( now theyv'e stopped pearling :D haha

I was quite surprised the java fern was pearling is it tends to be a slow grower and I only have 1.8 WPG.

What bulbs did you switch from and to?

Just about anything will pearl with sufficient light, CO2 and nutrients. Even my Java Moss is pearling. It's also becoming super-overgrown, which is good, because fish love to reproduce in it.

oops i didn't monitor this thread. :) i was using a standard tube but 3 of em :) and then after my accident i was left with 2 :( so i tried switching to daylight CF's for a while :)

So when a plant 'pearls', it means it's happy? :huh: Kinda like a betta bubblenesting, right?

Itty Bitty Betta - Pearling is when the plant produces oxygen bubbles. Basically it's photosynthsis happening a lot!! After a few hours of light in my tank it looks like the water's almost boiling because of all the bubbles shooting to the surface. It looks cool and fills me with pride!

I wish my plants did that. But it looks like my hornwart plants are beginning to die. The grass and the sword are doing okay, though. Is there some kind of bottled plant care that I can use without the use of a CO2 injector?

If you mean liquid fertiliser then I wouldn't use any until all of your plants show healthy growth otherwise you'll end up growing algae more than plants!! What lighting do you have on the tank you mention?

Itty bitty my java fern started doing that after i added co2 through hagens system, it was only £18,

gf225 said:
If you mean liquid fertiliser then I wouldn't use any until all of your plants show healthy growth otherwise you'll end up growing algae more than plants!! What lighting do you have on the tank you mention?
It's a 12" strip that covers te entire length of the 2.5g. It's power is 8 watts.

Most reactions

Back