Pearl gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

candrews999

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all so I've bitten the bullet and bought 3 pearl Gourami for my 180litre (Geoffrey, pearl and pearl) my 7 year olds names!! They share the tank with 12 cardinal tetra, 12 rummynose tetra, 8 bronze cory and 3 ammano shrimp. They all seem to be getting on except the odd time when Geoffrey will chase his ladies around a bit!! I have 2 medium pieces of drift wood which is keeping the ph down at about 6.5 along with some planted plants and some frog bit. Parameters are really steady not had any ammonia spikes for ages. Doing approx 30% water changes per week. I'm feeding a mix of frozen food flake and small pellets. If anyone has any comments, if I'm doing anything wrong/right please let me know [emoji16]
5ab33518317b67da0a86b9a57396445b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Your fish tank is on a funny angle, how does it stay on the stand like that?
only joking, but that's what happens when you take pictures when laying on your side. :)

If the filters have been established for more than a month, you should never have an ammonia or nitrite reading. This is because the beneficial filter bacteria eat any ammonia that is produced by fish food and fish waste and convert it into nitrates. Things that can cause an ammonia or nitrite spike include washing filter materials under tap water, power failures that continue for more than an hour, dead fish in the tank, and uneaten food rotting on the bottom.

All male gouramis are a bit obnoxious, some more so than others. Having lots of big floating plants in the tank can help by providing the females with hiding places. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plants for an aquarium. It naturally grows on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate, and mature plants can have big leaves, stems and roots. :)

Thanks for that, how do I stop the photo from flipping over like that?
I think once my plants mature there will be plenty of hiding places, although he does seem to hunt them down sometimes!! At the moment the girls hide behind the driftwood!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back