Pearl Gourami - Problem

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Lowering the temperature slows the spread of flexibacter (columnaris). Of course, you also need to treat it - anti-finrot meds usualy treat this and are less likely to cause problems with your biological filtration that broad-spectrum antibiotics (it's up to you which you try though - I've found different cases respond best with different meds.) and frequent water changes to keep water quality at its best are essential. Invest in a quarantine tank :p

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Interestingly the water temp has risen a few times up to 80 degrees over the least few weeks as my wife has felt the cold and put the Central heating on alot longer. Normally in the day when we're both at work with the heating off it is fairly stable at 74-75 degrees. I guess there's not much you can do to reduce the temp !?

I'm currently apply Myxazin and have been in contact with the product support people who by the way have been very helpful. They suggested applying the chemical direct to the fish and leaving out of water for 30 seconds. Slightly scared of doing that but it was done last night and this morning showed real signs of recovery. No just medicating the whole tank.

Yes will look into a quarantine tank but limited on room/space etc. How small a tank can you get away with to treat fish ?

Thanks

Kevin

I would suggest getting as large a quarantine tank as you can afford (within reason - if you go too big, it actualy becomes impractical as you need more of the meds). I have two tanks I use for this - one is 2.5 gallons, the other is 10. I actualy find myself using the smaller more often than the larger (which tends to go to use as a fry tank).

These rises in temperature are likely to be what triggered this problem BTW. It is incredibly bad for the fish for temperatures to fluctuate like you are describing constantly and a sudden rise in temperature is one of the most common causes of columnaris infections.

Good, you learn something every day, good luck.

Good, you learn something every day, good luck.

Hi everyone - good news to report back. Today will be the last day of the 5 day medication. The Pearl Gourami is just about fully cured. No ther fish have died in the process earlier. However have also been doing 10% water change before adding more medication. Anyway tomorrow will replace 30 ltrs of water to try and get the tank settled down again and get all the fish happy again !

Thanks for all advice and support

Kevin

Great news good luck.

Most reactions

Back