pearl gourami agressivity

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I got 2 pearl gourami this weekend. I think they are female but they are still very young so it is hard to tell. I have difficulty taking picture of them because they still hide when I come close to the tank but I will post pictures if I can so maybe someone can confirm they are female. I wanted to get 3 but only 2 kind of looked like females... The problem is, the 2 male are almost always chasing them (gets worst after feeding time and the males gets more agressive for a few hours). Is there a possibility it will get better? The males are already almost mature and the females are really young so it's probably making everything worst. If it doesn't get better, should I exchange the males for 3 younger pearl gourami or get another female or exchange only one male for a female and also get another female (in all cases a total of 5 pearl gourami)? Could any of that resolve the problem? I don'f know if it is actually a problem for the pearl gourami and if they are unhappy but their behavior is stressing me out.

Try getting a group of at least 5. I never had issues with keeping pearl gouramis in a group, but I did have issues keeping them in a pair.

I actually got pictures!
The smaller one
20200622_200600.jpg

She/he (I hope she) is at the middle at the back in this picture
20200622_200548.jpg

Other I hope female
20200622_200542.jpg

The first picture might be a male and the last picture is a female.

The first picture might be a male and the last picture is a female.
Ok thanks, the first one is probably not even 2 inch so it's probably still impossible to be sure but he/she didn't show orange throat like the other young pearl gourami at my LFS so I still have hope.

Ah, you make me miss my pearlies. :) It is nigh impossible to tell their gender at that age/size. Crispii is right--they do better in a group. I always found it was better to keep more females than males. I'd say two f to every m is ideal, though I got away with two males and three females for several years. The males can get quite persistent in their romantic intentions, and they do get territorial/aggressive with each other sometimes, too, especially when love is in the air. Overall, they are quite peaceful, and IMO one of the most beautiful fish in the hobby. When they're in breeding colors and they catch the light just right, they're breath-taking.

Ah, you make me miss my pearlies. :) It is nigh impossible to tell their gender at that age/size. Crispii is right--they do better in a group. I always found it was better to keep more females than males. I'd say two f to every m is ideal, though I got away with two males and three females for several years. The males can get quite persistent in their romantic intentions, and they do get territorial/aggressive with each other sometimes, too, especially when love is in the air. Overall, they are quite peaceful, and IMO one of the most beautiful fish in the hobby. When they're in breeding colors and they catch the light just right, they're breath-taking.
I think my best option might be to get another female or to exchange the bigger male for a female and also get another one. I will see how it goes for a another week or two and update the situation. You are right, they are a very beautiful fish! I find them even more beautiful in another way when they stay together.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back