Pearl danio hiding behind filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Michaelsf90

Reaction score
Those of you who have replied my other threads will know it's been a busy few days for my aquarium.

My smallest pearl danio keeps hiding behind or at the side of the filter near the top. It only comes out if you lift the lid off because it thinks its feeding time and it came out when I turned lights off at night

Is this down to the stress of adding new fish? The odessa barbs I've added may have bullied it. The odessas are in my smaller tank and going back today

Six more glowlights are being added today. Do you think I should move decorations around and see how the pearl gets on. I hope it's ok its only a baby compared to the rest of the danios

There are 3 zebra danio, 3 leopard, 4 pearl and 2 glowlight. I know the numbers arent right I'm slowly sorting that issue. I have 4 peppered corey as well

I think I've worked it out anyway I had ammonia at 0.5. I think I've been over feeding. The danios are so ravenous I feel bad if any fish dont eat. I'm stopping feeding them every other day and feeding a small amount every day now

The glowlights stay mid level. Do you think they'll eventually work out to get to the top or do they need different food than flakes. Once the ammonia has settled they'll get bloodworm once a week

The glowlights stay mid level. Do you think they'll eventually work out to get to the top or do they need different food than flakes. Once the ammonia has settled they'll get bloodworm once a week
As I mentioned elsewhere I have CPD - so these may not be identical. But the CPD won't ever go to the surface for food. I feed New Life Spectrum micro pellets. These float for around 30 seconds and then slowly sink. The also like bug bites and algae wafers. I use the Omega One veggie rounds. Half of one of these does my group of 30. They take a couple of hours over this, with a bit of help from the snails and shrimps.

The thing is whatever I feed the other danios will eat. I feed the Cory's at night with no lights on. I still think the danios eat some but the danios dont see the food sinking. So should I feed my glowlights the same tiny pellets I feed my Cory's?

The danios are why I end up over feeding. They are so fast and trying to make sure the glowlights and Corey's eat is difficult! If something is floating for 30 seconds the other danios will have eaten it

I feed all together. I have learnt how much of the sinking pellets to feed that some hits the deck. So the danios will get some at the top, the glowlights on the way down and the corys will clean up what's left. On other days I feed the algae wafers and (assuming yor danios are anything like my tetras) they will go down for the wafers but will have lost interest by the time these have softened enough for the corys and glowlights to pick at at their leisure.

It will require careful planning because the timid nano fish are easily out-competed for food by more active species as suggested here:

As @Byron suggests in your other thread the pearl as well as the zebra / leopard danios are active and need a 90cm tank. The glowlights will not appreciate being in the same tank with active fish and will likely be out-competed for food. The glowlights are tiny so the 20 I suggested in the other thread is no problem and I would probably go for a total of 8-10 corys. (I have 30 CPD, which are the same size as the glowlights in a 54l tank).

But I do suggest you keep the glowlights OR the larger danios, but not both

How many pellets would you feed per fish. Its the small 1mm ones? So I need to feed flake food for the danios. The catfish pellets or do I need to get pellets for tropical fish for the glowlights? I'm still going to feed the Corey's at night as I feel this is their best chance. I've even considered using a pipe so I know the pellets get right down. Its the danios the greedy beggars

Thank you. If I use a turkey baster to squirt tank water with flake in lower down for the glowlights? That will do until I get some micro pellets won't it?

I use a 15 inch long tweezers to feed lower fish (neons) as upper skirt tetra get most of flakes that I drop on the top.

I break flakes up into small pieces. It takes greedy fish ages to get all the little bits so the slower fish get a chance to eat some.

I'm going to try that tonight. I have a turkey baster to squirt it in at mid level. Are you any good with ph essjay. I dont understand why my ph is usually 7.2 but is now 6.6. Could it be because my ammonia is 0.5?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back