Part of guppy head missing?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

the guppy looks like physical damage.
clean water and clean tank is the best way to deal with that

Where did you buy these Guppies? Don't go there again, what a sickly bunch ☹️ I've noticed this a lot recently with guppies, just jam packed with parasites
Bettas too. Never had one, but sometimes this forum seems like the "help, my betta is sickly/dying" forum. They seem very weak and prone to illness now, judging by the posts we see here. Even ones kept in great conditions seem to develop mystifying illnesses and problems, so it's so often bettas or livebearers causing people problems.
Best way to go, I had no end of trouble with guppies I've given up on them now. They used to be your go-to hardy fish but heck, if they're not wasting away to nothing they're ballooning up with worms 🤷‍♀️
Yes! I started with guppies because I remembered their hardy, beginner fish rep from 30 odd years ago. Had no end of problems, first trios just dying off so fast for no obvious reason. Almost gave up the hobby! Felt like a fish murderer and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, water was testing perfectly, lots of live plants, not overcrowded. Eventually I was told how weak and inbred/sickly they are now, and not the hardy fish they used to be. That you're doing well if you get some fry from them before they die, then those fry should be stronger.

Sorry OP, not trying to take this off track. Just a heads up really that guppies are often sickly and weak now, and not to give up if you lose them or have a problem. It's likely not anything you did wrong, but the quality of the fish.

Yes I agree with AdoraBelle, you may lose these guppies as they're of such poor quality, which is a real shame but unfortunately not uncommon in the hobby. You may want to consider trying something else? I'm not so clued up on other livebearers as I've not really kept them but platies or mollys may be a better option

Last edited:
Yes I agree with AdoraBelle, you may lose these guppies as they're of such poor quality, which is a real shame but unfortunately not uncommon in the hobby. You may want to consider trying something else? I'm not so clued up on other livebearers as I'm not really kept them but platies or mollys may be a better option
Those often seem to tend to have worms, so worth worming them, but they're generally healthier than guppies, as long as you avoid the balloon (deformed) varieties. I think because their body shape and colours haven't been line bred and messed with as much as guppies have, they still seem to be a more hardy beginner fish. :)

Thanks so much for all this information and for the words of encouragement. I absolutely feel like a fish murderer. We got all the fish from the ‘smart’ of the pet big box stores, and will look elsewhere if we get any more. We do have two fry from these, which are unfortunately in our other tank, so I don’t want to move our sick one there. The picking on the ill fish is gross but at least explains the behavior.

I did a 75% H20 change yesterday and will put a breeding box, aquarium salt, and some sand for the corys on tomorrow’s to-dos. I have some tulle on hand; I will try to rig a net for Lime Green tonight to protect her from the other guppies. The red looked more sticklike to me, but cammalanus worms seem like a good bet.

Given the 3 corys and 1 Plecostomus spp., do you agree with the 1 heaped Tbsp per 20L salt treatment? Have I missed anything?

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for all this information and for the words of encouragement. I absolutely feel like a fish murderer. We got all the fish from the ‘smart’ of the pet big box stores, and will look elsewhere if we get any more. We do have two fry from these, which are unfortunately in our other tank, so I don’t want to move our sick one there. The picking on the ill fish is gross but at least explains the behavior.

I did a 75% H20 change yesterday and will put a breeding box, aquarium salt, and some sand for the corys on tomorrow’s to-dos. I have some tulle on hand; I will try to rig a net for Lime Green tonight to protect her from the other guppies. The red looked more sticklike to me, but cammalanus worms seem like a good bet.

Given the 3 corys and 1 Plecostomus spp., do you agree with the 1 heaped Tbsp per 20L salt treatment? Have I missed anything?

Thanks again!

Really glad that sharing our own experiences helped! You're not a fish murderer, I promise, it's a flaw in the supply of these fish, not anything you're doing wrong! There are plenty of mistakes that our own fault that can happen in this hobby, and I guarantee there isn't a fishkeeper alive that hasn't made a mistake that proved fatal to a fish. It's sad when it happens, but mustn't beat yourself up when it does happen, just determine to learn from it. It's unfair that you got a rough start to the hobby, but you can have a beautiful, peaceful tank once you're on the other side!

But in this case, especially if they're carrying worms (which most store livebearers are), it's not anything you're doing wrong, please know that.
With the worms, you need specific meds to treat them effectively. The generic store wormers don't always work. This thread explains how to treat them and what meds are required. You'll want to treat for both roundworms and flatworms, since they can carry both. I battled camallanus worms in guppies too - it sucks, but can be defeated! It's very important to treat all of your main tanks when worming since the eggs are very transferable. I also steralised my equipment like buckets and syphons in a bleach solution when treating my tanks for worms the second time.... https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-has-stringy-white-poop.466276/

But first things first, the worms can wait a while, while you do the salt treatment. You don't want to do both at once. The cories and pleco should be okay with the salt and that dose for the treatment period, Some people have said their cories/plecs have freaked out when salt was added, others say it's fine, so monitor the fish as you add the salt. If they start to freak out, do a water change with normal, declorinated water to dilute the salt, then come back and let us know.
You're obviously committed to helping the fish and prepared to do whatever you need, and that's a sign of a good hobbyist who cares, not a fish murderer. :fish:

Thanks, AdoraBella. Does this look ok for isolation?

Attachments

• 2364E526-B671-4DB7-96B3-D23DCFE76782.jpeg
    2364E526-B671-4DB7-96B3-D23DCFE76782.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 17
Update: the guppy with the head wound is still with us, is eating a little, and the wound is smaller. The most aggressive of the other guppies still chases her and tries to nip her head, though, so I still have her in the makeshift isolation box.

Our grey blue guppy Ocean died unexpectedly tonight, after developing a gravid spot over the last few days. There was one egg with eye spots that was almost out of her body, and it’s embryonic heart was still beating after Ocean’s death. I removed it and put it with the two fry that hatched a few days ago, just in case? I can’t imagine it can survive, but don’t know how to incubate a guppy egg.

The other two remaining guppies seem in good health. I got some play sand for the corydora catfish, but it says “Not for Aquarium Use” in big letters on the bag. Should I just use it in my son’s sandbox and get something else?

You can use play sand in aquariums but post pictures of the bag and let us know what brand of sand it is and any warning labels on it. Don't use it in the tank until we say it's ok to do so.

Guppy eggs will continue to develop on their own if they are kept in clean warm water. So having it in a container with 2 newly born baby guppies is probably fine and it should hatch sometime in the next week or so, depending on how far along it is.

Here it is :) what’s the verdict? Warning in lower right of photo.

Attachments

• C8FFD299-A929-490D-A020-75613910E11F.jpeg
    C8FFD299-A929-490D-A020-75613910E11F.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 22
What the hell sort of sand is that having a cancer warning on the bag but saying it is play sand.

If it's play sand for a child's sand pit, it shouldn't cause cancer.

If it's really fine powdery sand, then it could be a lung health issue if you inhale the fine dust. But one would assume they wouldn't use sand like that for a play sand.

I'm gonna leave that for the company.

You should contact the manufacturer and ask why the sand has a cancer warning label on it. And ask them why it can't be used in aquariums.

The information on the bag is contradictory and a serious concern if it is designed for a child's sand pit.

Here it is :) what’s the verdict? Warning in lower right of photo.
I wouldn't use it in the aquarium then myself, and the cancer warning is scary too, Colin is right there!
You're in the US? Quickrite (is that the name, @Slaphppy7 ?) play sand is proven safe for aquariums, if you choose natural colours, nothing dyed or anything.

I wouldn't use it in the aquarium then myself, and the cancer warning is scary too, Colin is right there!
You're in the US? Quickrite (is that the name, @Slaphppy7 ?) play sand is proven safe for aquariums, if you choose natural colours, nothing dyed or anything.
Quikrete Pool Filter Sand

Quikrete Pool Filter Sand

Brilliant, I knew I was close, but also wrong with the sand name! You were the first American I thought of that I knew would know. Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back