Parrots - How Big Do They Grow?

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Reaction score
i was under the impression parrots maxed out at 8 inches.
well ive just done a lovely swap of two juvi black belts for three parrots. the people told me one was big and two were small...no problem i thought, until i saw the monster. he makes my oscars cower in fear (they are 24 and 26cm length, this monster must be around 28-30??) im hoping he's fully grown but the people said he's ony around 1 year old..when do parrots stop growing? will he be ok in a 700L with 2 oscars and 2 parrots (and a variety of smaller fish?) bit worried i may have to give him a bigger home :(
just going to upload a pic

100_4984.jpg

100_4986.jpg

100_4975.jpg

sorry about the state of the tank, its in a conservatory so were battling terrible algae problems still! you can just see the oscar in the far right hand side of the tank to compare sizes with :)

Parrots do have the potential to hit 12" or even a little bigger as they are simply Midas hybrids,
However 8" is much more likely for most

Btw as far as hybrids go, he looks a beauty :good:

Yup if undyed and properly cared for they can hit over 8". I have one similar size to yours. Mine dont bother much with smaller fish as long as they are not bite sized but will squabble with similar sized cichlids, your oscar may be ok though.

That is a King Kong Parrot (Blood Parrot x Midas/Red Devil)

Most reactions

Back