Byron Hoskins RIP

An article that was referenced spells the last name as Hosking? Also, an obituary for him may be here: John Byron Hosking obituary
I assume this is the person to whom you are referring.
Thank you so much for finding this! Nothing has been posted on his Facebook and I’ve been scouring the internet for funeral details so I can go

An article that was referenced spells the last name as Hosking? Also, an obituary for him may be here: John Byron Hosking obituary
I assume this is the person to whom you are referring.
Well now I'm confused. Throwing this to @AbbeysDad for answers.
AbbeysDad, is that link for our Byron from the fish forum?
If yes, why is the spelling different and did he use his middle name when writing articles?

Well now I'm confused. Throwing this to @AbbeysDad for answers.
AbbeysDad, is that link for our Byron from the fish forum?
If yes, why is the spelling different and did he use his middle name when writing articles?
I think a lot of people play with spellings and locations because the internet is what it is. My actual family name isn't "E", and yours isn't "T", right? Deep down, I know you're Colin Tyrannosaurus. We leave it close because we aren't that worried about being "known", but they're still stage names. I expect Byron worked the same way. Instead of a completely unrelated user name, he stayed close to who he was. But I can tell you from the days I wrote commercially on fish, people find you and you do get 3 AM phone calls from other time zones. Complete real names can be traced, and some people like doing that. You have to protect your privacy a bit.

The obituary in post #29 is very likely to be the same Byron. Look at the signature in any of Byron's posts (there's a sticky in Tropical Discussion to make it easy to find one of his posts) which says "Byron Hosking, BMus, MA". Byron himself spelled his surname as Hosking and the obituary says he had a degree and masters in musicology.

I wish I'd known he played the church organ. So does my elder son.

Well, Byron was a fish additct which the obit mentions, He struggled with cancer to which he finally succumbed, and the Obit mentions that. He is from Canada and it it a Canadian info site. So it would have to be an elaborate con job. And they sure had a easy to use set-up to make donations via CC or Paypal. I wondered if it might not be legit and decided the odds on that seemed pretty poor.

I made a decent size donation but not insane enough to change how I live as a result. I normally find a good cause, often an individual in trouble, to make my annual donation to. This year I did not wait for Xmas.

My family is not religious and we don't have funerals. When my dad passed we asked folks donate to our local hospice Org. They were here for oth him and my mother eventually. Byron never asked the members here for anything for himself, he just helped us all become better fish keepers and hopefully, better people. So My donation was insignificant compared to that. I have to assume that he was the one who requested those donation for a cause he supported.

The odd thing is that I got a nice thank-you email from the shelter with a story about a specific dog, the kind the donation would help:

This emaciated, senior stray was found all alone in a remote area. He was bone thin and covered in sores, his sad eyes sharing the suffering he had been living through. Thankfully his compassionate rescuer, an animal lover just like you or I, brought him to the local BC SPCA Animal Centre where he could get immediate vet care.

Thanks to kindness like yours, Fish received the dedicated care he needed to recover. He was almost unrecognizable when he found his forever home with a loving retired couple!

Your generous gift will give another animal like Fish the happy ending they deserve.

I think anybody who can make even a small donation to the shelter will be doing two things, helping animals in need and honoring Byron's memory. It sure made me feel a lot better than just sitting around feeling sad.

edited to add the word "Odds"

Last edited:
Well, Byron was a fish additct which the obit mentions, He struggled with cancer to which he finally succumbed, and the Obit mentions that. He is from Canada and it it a Canadian info site. So it would have to be an elaborate con job. And they sure had a easy to use set-up to make donations via CC or Paypal. I wondered if it might not be legit and decided the on that seemed pretty poor.

I made a decent size donation but not insane enough to change how I live as a result. I normally find a good cause, often an individual in trouble, to make my annual donation to. This year I did not wait for Xmas.

My family is not religious and we don't have funerals. When my dad passed we asked folks donate to our local hospice Org. They were here for oth him and my mother eventually. Byron never asked the members here for anything for himself, he just helped us all become better fish keepers and hopefully, better people. So My donation was insignificant compared to that. I have to assume that he was the one who requested those donation for a cause he supported.

The odd thing is that I got a nice thank-you email from the shelter with a story about a specific dog, the kind the donation would help:

I think anybody who can make even a small donation to the shelter will be doing two things, helping animals in need and honoring Byron's memory. It sure made me feel a lot better than just sitting around feeling sad.
Oh my goodness the dog was named fish 😍

I think a lot of people play with spellings and locations because the internet is what it is. My actual family name isn't "E", and yours isn't "T", right? Deep down, I know you're Colin Tyrannosaurus. We leave it close because we aren't that worried about being "known", but they're still stage names. I expect Byron worked the same way. Instead of a completely unrelated user name, he stayed close to who he was. But I can tell you from the days I wrote commercially on fish, people find you and you do get 3 AM phone calls from other time zones. Complete real names can be traced, and some people like doing that. You have to protect your privacy a bit.
My surname starts with a T and Colin is my first name. I don't use full surnames on the internet but first letter is fine.

I think all his threads need to go in one forum in memorial, because he had so much and shared so generously

It's now done.

Most reactions

Back