Parrot compaitbility

phoenyxrysing

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right section for this, but I figured I'd ask asyways. I have a 60 gallon that's just finished cycling, and wanted to know if the fish I'd like to ask would work. I currently have a baby blood parrot waiting to be moved. I'd like to know if he could cohabitate with a yellow lab, and a couple of clown loaches? I love the way the labs look, and would really like to add one. If not the lab, I heard that a severum might work?

Thanks for the advice! :)

I know the lab and clowns would be ok but keep in mind labs need water that is hard and very alkaline (pH around 8.2) while clowns like a more acid pH though they do ok in the higher pH, hard water. As for whether the parrot would work - labs are one of the more peaceful mbunas and I suppose that if the parrot could go with severums it would be ok with the lab but I honestly don't know for certain. The other thing to keep in mind is that realy the clown loaches (and they should be in a group of 3 minnimum) will eventualy require a 90 gallon as they will get to 12" if cared for properly.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll rethink adding the labs then. Maybe get them their own tank. Could a pair live in the spare 20 I have?
I'm new to the larger fish (if it wasn't obvious :p ). I was looking, really, for something fairly peaceful to live with the parrot and clowns. I will probably end up getting a bigger tank by the end of the year. But for right now, I just want something to go in the 55. Open to any other suggestions!

Thanks again!

i wouldnt add the labs, but blood parrots and severums look really nice together

edit: bp's and sevs not only look good, they get along good too :p

cichlid said:
i wouldnt add the labs, but blood parrots and severums look really nice together

edit: bp's and sevs not only look good, they get along good too :p
Yep yep, sevs would work well as long as you're planning to upgrade the tank, since the 60 gallon is only big enough for the blood parrot as an adult :nod:

Thanks all, I appreciate the advice :) I'll definitely hold off on the labs, maybe maybe them a future, seperate project. I just want to make sure that everyone will get along with no major conflicts, not only for now, but in the long run. The girl at the fish store (I've read about their occaisional...lack of knowledge and all, lol) recommended a firemouth, but, from what I've read, they seem fairly agressive? I will definitely go and do tons more research on the sevs. For a final home, would a 120 work?

phoenyxrysing said:
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice :) I'll definitely hold off on the labs, maybe maybe them a future, seperate project. I just want to make sure that everyone will get along with no major conflicts, not only for now, but in the long run. The girl at the fish store (I've read about their occaisional...lack of knowledge and all, lol) recommended a firemouth, but, from what I've read, they seem fairly agressive? I will definitely go and do tons more research on the sevs. For a final home, would a 120 work?

A 120 would be great, I think :nod:

ooold topic, I know...but just had another quick compatibility question. I was in my fish store yesterday, and they had a lone baby blue acara. Very pretty fish, and from what I've read, they seem fairly peaceful. I was just wondering if he/she might work with the parrot and the yet to be purchased clown loaches? Thanks!

Most reactions

Back