Parrot Cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaJason

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI
After reading some posts on shy parrot fish I decided that I need help with mine.
I have had one(my first) got him about 4/5 months ago but all he does is hide,
how can I make him feel safe out in the open?

He is a joy to watch at feeding time but thats the only chance I get too see him, although he does come out at night, do they prefer night or is it the darkness that makes them feel secure?

Any help will be appreciated :)

What size tank have is he in and is there any other fish in there

Not quite sure on tank size
am useless at maths although using the converter it seems to be 28lmp gallons although I am getting a new tank later this year.

He is in with other fish :/ but no other parrot cichlids

am useless at maths although using the converter it seems to be 28lmp gallons although I am getting a new tank later this year.

I never had the problem with shy Parrots. When I brought mine they went straight into a tank with other fish which are 4 to 5" and they were fine.
They do suggest if you have a shy parrot by adding other fish they become more confident and come out of hiding, but you said you already have other fish in there. What size fish do you have in there? Not sure if this make a difference.

MMMMmm :/ nothing larger than 3inch except my rainbow shark and bristle nose plec both which are about 5/6inch

I never had the problem with shy Parrots. When I brought mine they went straight into a tank with other fish which are 4 to 5" and they were fine.
They do suggest if you have a shy parrot by adding other fish they become more confident and come out of hiding, but you said you already have other fish in there. What size fish do you have in there? Not sure if this make a difference.

MMMMmm :/ nothing larger than 3inch except my rainbow shark and bristle nose plec both which are about 5/6inch

Whenever I inherited my first Blood Parrots from my Uncle, they were both very skittish anytime somebody can up to the tank or around it and would dart and hide,
but they eventually got used to the hustle and bustle and actually started greeting people at the glass.

Does he not associate you with food?
My parrots always get excited when I come up because they think they will get fed.

How many inches long is your Parrot?
and do you have hiding places preferable a type of cave they can go completely in to, to feel secure?

You may want to try spending more time by the tank. My tank was by the couch so anytime I was sitting on the couch, the parrots were right near me and became interested after a while.

You may need a buddy to help coax him out. I had a male and female. the male was more brave, while the female hid more.
Well she started following the male around and became just as outgoing.
When the male died, she remained outgoing and now she's the most active fish in my 90 gallon tank.

Or you may just need to give the fish some more time. Or it could be possible that you just have a shy fish on your hands. They each have different personalities.

Also, what are the measurements of your tank?
Length, width, height?

I had my two blood parrots in a 29 gallon to start off with.
Now my female is in a 90 gallon and is 5-6 inches long.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back