Parrot Cichlid with mystery illness

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PatFish

Reaction score
Hello all, I am messaging in with questions regarding my parrot cichlid, and their unknown illness. I believe he is male, and has always had a healthy appetite and great attitude, chasing and nipping my hand if I even touch anything in the tank! Recently he has been at the base of the tank just leaning, with no real interest in food, and generally seaming very subdued. I have not added any fish for many months, and wondered if it was an internal parasite, caused by poor water conditions as I found out that my canister filter wasn’t doing to well. whilst I am planning what bits to get for a deep clean on the filter I am currently running an eheim bio power 240 and two sponge filters to give good filtration and surface agitation. I have dosed praziquantel four times and while he seems ok sometimes, he can all of a sudden seems to return to a worrying state. my keyhole cichlid is also now looking slightly odd swimming with his body in a twitch like motion with clamped fins and white stringy poop. I am wondering if it is an internal bacteria infection, and have got some internet anti bacteria medication, as well as another parasite treatment and a white spot treatment and some aquarium salt. These all say to not use with scaleless fish however, and in this tank I have pleco, upside down synodontis and cowries who are all scaleless. Could this all be stress I wonder, but although I do need some more hides, there is zero hostility in this tank, and has always been rather harmonious! Thank you all so much for reading this, I appreciate your time and effort with infinite gratitude and all answers are wholly appreciated
Thank you so much again!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back