Paraguard reduces oxygen?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

avelonchii

Reaction score
i am currently medicating a 20 gallon tank with seachem paraguard. im just wondering if this product reduces oxygen level in the aquarium? i only dosed 1/2 of the recommended dose.

i have noticed my sterbai corydoras gulping for air frequently.

i do have an aquaclear 70 in full blast, corner sponge filter with airstone and an airstone at the other end to keep up with oxygen while medicating

I just had a quick browse on the internet, and came across an FAQ on the webpage of seachem paraguard.

Paraguard is indeed a reducing agent, and will reduce the oxygen in your tank, in large quantities it can be detrimental to your fishes health, especially if overlapped with other reducing agents or chemicals that can have a bad effect when mixing with said reducing agents.

It states that for every 80 litres (20 gallons) 10ml of treatment should be used. I'm presuming you only used 5ml? (I got this info straight from the label).

As for remedies, I can only go off what I've read and unfortunately the only related part of treatment if things go awry is to leave for 24-48 hours. That is all I've been able to dig up on seachems site. hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will be able to help you out with making your fish comfortable again.

Keep us updated.

Yes, most medications will reduce oxygen in your water.

Your airstones should be able to help. Increase your air pump speed/flow rate for the airstones if possible.
Keep you water cool as warmer water reduce the oxygen level.

Also, becareful that Corydoras might be more sensitive to medications than other fish.

Virtually all chemical medications will reduce oxygen levels in the water.

What disease are you treating?

I just had a quick browse on the internet, and came across an FAQ on the webpage of seachem paraguard.

Paraguard is indeed a reducing agent, and will reduce the oxygen in your tank, in large quantities it can be detrimental to your fishes health, especially if overlapped with other reducing agents or chemicals that can have a bad effect when mixing with said reducing agents.

It states that for every 80 litres (20 gallons) 10ml of treatment should be used. I'm presuming you only used 5ml? (I got this info straight from the label).

As for remedies, I can only go off what I've read and unfortunately the only related part of treatment if things go awry is to leave for 24-48 hours. That is all I've been able to dig up on seachems site. hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will be able to help you out with making your fish comfortable again.

Keep us updated.
unfortunately one of the sterbai passed away last night. could have been a parasite that has been in there for a long time and didnt quite notice earlier. i am fasting my fishes for 2 days and will be doing 20% water change daily. if nothing happens for 3 days, ill throw in the carbon media in and continue doing water changes for another week. if they’re still being lethargic by that time, i will try seachem stressguard medication

As other have said, yes, it will reduce oxygen in your tank. A simple air stone will suffice.

Yes, most medications will reduce oxygen in your water.

Your airstones should be able to help. Increase your air pump speed/flow rate for the airstones if possible.
Keep you water cool as warmer water reduce the oxygen level.

Also, becareful that Corydoras might be more sensitive to medications than other fish.
i have an adopted angel in the tank which cant tolerate lower temp below 78.

i have an adopted angel in the tank which cant tolerate lower temp below 78.

78 F is cool enough.
I guess as long as you set below 82-83F, the fish should be fine.

By the way, you don't have to fast your fish.
Some people fast their fish when they are using medications to reduce the fish waste which may help to increase the medication effectiveness.
But I don't think this is necessary unless your fish produce very high waste in your tank.

If possible, find out what caused the death of your Cory.
What are the symptoms before it died?
Also, make sure that it's not due to water quality issue (ammonia and nitrite at zero).

Welcome to TFF. Is "vancouver" Vancouver, BC? I'm in Maple Ridge.

To the issue...I would not use Seachem Stressguard with Corydoras, this will make things worse for the fish. Corydoras are sensitive to all chemicals/additives, and unless "x" is absolutely necessary to save the fish, these should never be used. Fresh water is the best remedy. I would do a major water change (75% of the tank volume) today, and maybe again tomorrow, depending.

Agree with Colin, we need a photo to ID whatever.

78 F is cool enough.
I guess as long as you set below 82-83F, the fish should be fine.

By the way, you don't have to fast your fish.
Some people fast their fish when they are using medications to reduce the fish waste which may help to increase the medication effectiveness.
But I don't think this is necessary unless your fish produce very high waste in your tank.

If possible, find out what caused the death of your Cory.
What are the symptoms before it died?
Also, make sure that it's not due to water quality issue (ammonia and nitrite at zero).
Welcome to TFF. Is "vancouver" Vancouver, BC? I'm in Maple Ridge.

To the issue...I would not use Seachem Stressguard with Corydoras, this will make things worse for the fish. Corydoras are sensitive to all chemicals/additives, and unless "x" is absolutely necessary to save the fish, these should never be used. Fresh water is the best remedy. I would do a major water change (75% of the tank volume) today, and maybe again tomorrow, depending.

Agree with Colin, we need a photo to ID whatever.
yes vancouver bc. kitsilano around UBC

just saw my honey gourami nipping the sterbais today. not sure if its stress killing them. i also see missing chunks of their fin. does not seem to be fin rot. but today, i saw one with white stuff on the body.

Attachments

• 31CAF7F0-376D-43C2-9552-9C8DC6349ECA.jpeg
    31CAF7F0-376D-43C2-9552-9C8DC6349ECA.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 513229F0-9D10-4CA9-941C-2D1CF7D410A6.jpeg
    513229F0-9D10-4CA9-941C-2D1CF7D410A6.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 88

Attachments

• 40EFDE9F-3B36-41D8-B63F-436108BE5B16.jpeg
    40EFDE9F-3B36-41D8-B63F-436108BE5B16.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 23F3D47E-B197-40CB-B127-D1A6E97D579C.jpeg
    23F3D47E-B197-40CB-B127-D1A6E97D579C.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 4BB6AFF1-8E96-4772-91ED-5B0C4FD92EB7.jpeg
    4BB6AFF1-8E96-4772-91ED-5B0C4FD92EB7.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 109
The cory is in trouble, but I do not guess at disease issues, Colin has considerably more knowledge in this area.

Clean the tank up, wipe glass, 75% water change, gravel clean substrate, clean filter.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in there for 2 weeks. See how they look after that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back